BenQ DW1640/1655: best firmware for CD-R burning

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the BenQ DW1640. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I currently use both Benq DW1640 (BSMB) and Benq DW1655 (BCGB) drives. If my primary use is burning audio CD-Rs, what firmware version should I be using for either drive?

I’d do some burns and tests with different firmware to see which one is best. In general, as long as you’re using decent quality media and burn at 16x-24x on 32x-52x media, you shouldn’t have any problems (media rated slower than 32x is a separate issue).

Most people here use BSLB or BEFB for the DW1640 because they’re best for DVD+R burning, and I don’t think there were any significant CD-R burning improvements between them and BSRB.

For the DW1655, BCDB is recommended because it doesn’t have certain DVD burning quirks that were introduced in later firmwares, and once again, I doubt much is gained for CD-R burning between that and BCIB.

I have a vague memory of Verbatim (Super) AZO CD-R burn quality improving in either BCHB or BCIB for the BenQ DW1655, but I don’t have any of my scans available here to check.

In any case, the DVD burning quirks in those two firmwares made me go back to BCGB which I would recommend along with BCDB unless you enjoy trouble.

I have no opinion on the best formware for the BenQ DW1640.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[quote=DrageMester;2141883]I have a vague memory of Verbatim (Super) AZO CD-R burn quality improving in either BCHB or BCIB for the BenQ DW1655, but I don’t have any of my scans available here to check.[/quote] Quite accidentally I stumbled upon an earlier post of mine on this subject when someone bumped that thread.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2141996]Quite accidentally I stumbled upon an earlier post of mine on this subject when someone bumped that thread.[/QUOTE]:cool:

My add… or any stock firmware. (CD burning is quite a basic task after all, [since cd-r media was introduced to the public in early70’s].
But then, some members are abliged to argue anyway…