BenQ DW162x quality scan slowdowns

vbimport

A couple of weeks ago I managed to get a lightly used DW1625 for scanning purposes. Quality scans with Opti Drive Control didn’t work at all with the stock (original release?) BBBA FW - error codes immediately after spinning up - so I flashed it to the latest release, BBIA. This worked but not without slowdowns that looked/sounded like laser calibrations, with any kind of media and at any speed.
After finding some backup CVT files for the DW1625 here, I crossflashed to the FW everyone seems to be using on the DW1620 without issue, B7W9. The slowdowns are gone with CD-Rs but still happen on DVD±R on 8x but not at 4x one time at 8x and even 4x (not CLV - this stopped with an error code a quarter of the way through). I’ve seen scans at 8x and 4x without slowdowns on jad’s, 2°’s, czary’s posts though. Is there some trick I’m missing here, or am I just unlucky? I’m using it with the built-in IDE controller on an AM2+ motherboard, no overclocking - so that’s not it…

Here’s a bunch of scans illustrating the issue. Bear in mind this is all with questionable media but I don’t think that should matter.

[B]DW1625 BBIA; 40x[/B]

[B]DW1625 BBIA; 24x[/B]

[B]DW1625 BBIA; 24x P-CAV[/B]

[B]DW1625 @DW1620 B7W9 (works!)[/B]

I can’t say I remember how to avoid this. I remember it being a problem for sure, one that mainly affected the 1640 & 1650/55… Maybe a little digging will bring up old conversations about it. I’ll have to check later.

[B]@DW1620 B7W9; 8x[/B]

[B]@DW1620 B7W9; 4x[/B]

[B]@DW1620 B7W9; 4x CLV[/B]

@DW1625 BBIA; 8x P-CAV

@DW1620 B7W9; 8x

[QUOTE=Albert;2752527]I can’t say I remember how to avoid this. I remember it being a problem for sure, one that mainly affected the 1640 & 1650/55… Maybe a little digging will bring up old conversations about it. I’ll have to check later.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, according to my research, it was a problem with the 1620 too before B7W9. I mean, I suppose I could try out every single (available) fw for both drives but, uh, I don’t want to? Thanks in advance for checking up on this though :slight_smile:

So, similar to what you’ve said, these dips are probably going to be hard to avoid. You’re using the firmware that was said to fix the issues, and funny enough you only have the one dip with B7W9 instead of the perpetually annoying repetitive dips, which is a worthwhile tradeoff. I don’t like that the 4x CLV scan outright failed, but I would be more concerned if 4x CAV magically failed consistently.

Does the drive take some time to recognize DVD media? Does it have issues completing transfer rate tests? And do you have a way to try the drive on another PATA controller, just to check? Also also: can you force the PATA controller to use PIO mode instead of DMA to see if that affects anything?

[QUOTE=Albert;2752558]So, similar to what you’ve said, these dips are probably going to be hard to avoid. You’re using the firmware that was said to fix the issues, and funny enough you only have the one dip with B7W9 instead of the perpetually annoying repetitive dips, which is a worthwhile tradeoff. I don’t like that the 4x CLV scan outright failed, but I would be more concerned if 4x CAV magically failed consistently.

Does the drive take some time to recognize DVD media? Does it have issues completing transfer rate tests? And do you have a way to try the drive on another PATA controller, just to check? Also also: can you force the PATA controller to use PIO mode instead of DMA to see if that affects anything?[/QUOTE]

Aight, those all sound like sensible things to do. Will try them tomorrow - thanks!