Benq DW1620A - Buffer problems (jumping buffer)

Hello everyone,

I have a little problem with my DW1620A, when i burn the buffer jumps up and down from 100% to 0% and it takes forever to burn a disc. Also it’s consuming practially all CPU power. I can’t even use winamp while burning.

I have tried to search for information on this site, on google and almost everywhere but with no success.

Please, could someone help me to fix this error. I do remember that i managed to fix it once but i forgot how to do it.

I am using Verbatim 8x fullface printable, i have tried different media.

AMD T-BIRD 2600+

Thanks!
Henrik

its a dma issue see the dma enabling guide also check dma settings in bios its best to have em on auto , and if your mobo is nforce chipset based its best to use the microsoft ide driver and not nvidia’s if your using nvidia ide driver then uninstall nforce and reinstall it without the nvidia ide driver , anyway i dont recommend using any other programs while burning as it may significantly affect the burning quality

Welcome :slight_smile:

You are not the first who could not find the answer given above to this common problem. Did you see and have you read the F.A.Q. thread ?

Thank you guys for the help, I read the FAQ but i din’t find anything that would help me with the buffer problem. I went to check the UDMA/PIO setting in BIOS and in Windows 2000, they were both set to use “UMDA if possible”.

• The HDD is set to primary master and the DVD-burner is set to secondary slave.
  • Both IDE cables are 80 pins.
  • In device manager the DVD-burner is detected as ATAPI DVD DD 2X16X4X16

I would apprishiate, and it would be very kind if someone could help me troubleshoot this buffer problem.

Thank’s a million!
Henrik

(sorry about the bad english)

Post the result of the Nero CD-DVD Speed burst transfer test, you need a disk with some data in the drive to run the test, to be shure you have a DMA problem.
Check the DMA settings of your source and target drive.
Post the text output of Nero Infotool as text file attachment using the Manage Attatchments button so we can have a look at your config.

I went to check the UDMA/PIO setting in BIOS and in Windows 2000, they were both set to use “UMDA if possible”.

That doesn’t say much, check the line below for the actual mode. It might be set to DMA if possible, but still be stuck at PIO.

Q.

You said : The HDD is set to primary master and the DVD-burner is set to secondary slave.

Since the DVD burner is set to secondary slave I assume you have something else set to secondary master? I hope so. If so, what is it?

Hello again,

Sorry for the delay, i have bought another HDD and are currently configuring it (formatting, installing windows and stuff). Will get back to this thread in a day or two.

I ment, i have the HDD set as primary master and the dvd-burner to secondary master.

Where do i check the UDMA/PIO setting, i have already checked it in bios and in windows, in bios it’s set as “auto” in windows it’s set as DMA if possible

In bios > VIA OnChip IDE Device it looks like this:

Onchip ide channel0 - Enabled
Onchip ide channel1 - Enabled
IDE prefetch mode - Enabled
Primary master, PIO - Auto
Primary slave, PIO - Auto
Secondary master, PIO - Auto
Secondary slave, PIO - Auto
Primary master, UDMA - Auto
Primary slave, UDMA - Auto
Secondary master, UDMA - Auto
Secondary slave, UDMA - Auto

I am able to change the PIO settings to:
AUTO
MODE 0
MODE 1
MODE 2
MODE 3
MODE 4

And the UDMA can only be changed from Auto to disabled

Also i have a question, is the DVD burner supposed to be detected as ATA33?

ALA42, will run a test when i have fixed the computer

How much ram do you have you need atlest 512 to burn at 16x

‘If Possible’ counts nothing, only the choosen setting counts. In the next line you should see the current DMA setting.

Also i have a question, is the DVD burner supposed to be detected as ATA33?

A 1620 should run at UDMA2 or ATA33 if you like.

Since i originally posted this message i have changed my OS to Windows XP. As soon as this change happend every problem that i had with the burning dissapeared. I can now burn a full dvdr in 6 minutes, 16x and at a normal 80-100 buffer rate, while browsing the web.

I would like to thank everyone for all the suggestions and answers, i wish you all the best! Oh, and if anyone gets the same problem as me, please ask them what OS the’re using.

Thanks again for the help!

Very good idea, indeed !
What OS were you using ? :wink:

I’m having a similar problem -
I have an HL-DT-ST DVDTTW GWA-4083B and my buffer is jumping everywhere when I try and write a dvd using Nero 6 Ultra Edition Version 6.0.0.9.
It only started doing it yesterday and I’ve been using this drive for years!

I’ve done all the checks:
BOTH Primary and Secondary IDE drives are set to DMA if available,
I’ve defragged my system and even uninstalled the driver and let Windows XP reinstall the driver and it’s STILL doing it!!

What can I do PLEASE somebody help me!!

Thanks

Dan