Benq DW1620: worth upgrading from B7L9?

vbimport

I’m sorry if this has already been answered but I’m in a hurry and would appreciate an answer.

The situation is as follows: a friend purchased a Benq DW1620, manufacture date October 2004 and firmware B7L9. Tomorrow I will be installing the drive on her PC and she will then pick it up. After that it will not be very easy to get hold of the PC and install or correct anything.

What I want to know is: is it worth it to upgrade the firmware? What would she gain by doing it? Note she will not be doing any disc quality testing and will most likely not write DL media, at least in the foreseable future. Also writing at 8x or 12 or 16x is about the same for her since she will not be doing a lot of burning. It’s likely that she will write some CDs.

I read some threads mentioning that sometimes there are some failed (?) firmware flashes. That would be a no no, given the situation explained on the second paragraph.

So, basically: is B7L9 a good firmware or is it a very good idea to upgrade it to something else? In the later case what is the better firmware in terms of all around performance, i.e. DVD+R and DVD-R.

Thanks!

Windows flashers from the official site are very simple to use.

Don’t leave a media in the drive, switch off ant-virus in the background, select the right drive to flash, accept to reboot when asked and you’re done.

I would recommend to flash to B7P9 as some have had problems with the latest flasher (B7T9). I haven’t.

B7L9 may still have problems with some media.

Thanks Sapa! Do you think it is worthwhile to flash in safe mode as some people are suggesting?

Yes it is for maximum security and not much time consumption.

(althogh I seldom do :wink: )

A long-distance support situation involving a friend. ouch!!! OMG!!!

It is not necessary or needful for computer builders to update from L9, since it has wonderful performance.

Updating is fast and easy. Safe mode is recommended. Testing is recommended after updating. If you get bad performance, just flash it again and re-test. You can see why computer builders would not care to go through this process. When building a computer, it is most necessary to provide a good software/hardware solution, and to provide a full restore-disc set. Then it becomes unnecessary to support user modifications because the system worked perfectly “as shipped”.

In my experience, customers and family members will hold you to the maximum amount of support possible. After all, it’s free for them: “Oh, you’ve just GOT to help me. After all, you built this !?&^ thing!” If you’re building or repairing computers, support problems can bankrupt or even affect your health, so do follow industry standard practices to protect yourself. Make an additional system restore set on CD for your files as this is the number one defense against the user modification support liability. If possible, strongly insist that there is no support if the unit has been used without the protection of a battery backup unit (UPS). Support only the software included with the unit and on the restore discs (that you have made; see Norton Ghost). That way, you don’t have to worry about user modifications or viruses invalidating your product.

From a support standpoint for the BenQ, firmwares L9 and P9 are ideal because they are the least trouble. Changing the firmware means that you need to test and document that the unit performs well after modification. Not changing the firmware means that it’s up to BenQ. Above all, test, document, and preserve that the computer system performs well “as shipped” in fully valid condition.

Oh, and either marry the friend or get a phone plan with unlimited long-distance.

I wouldn’t wish that support situation on anybody. If the friend or family member doesn’t live in the same house, play dumb, get absent fast, anything to avoid their computer. . .oh, there are no words to describe the trouble. Speechless! I’m speechless!! It’s a first.