BenQ DW1620 won\'t work anymore :(

vbimport

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the BenQ DW1620 (Pro). Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]It quit on me after a year of moderate use, though never had chance to burn DL discs. Â It is getting properly listed in Windows Explorer but won’t recognise any media inserted in it. Dead?

[QUOTE=Cobra08;2171659][qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the BenQ DW1620 (Pro). Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]It quit on me after a year of moderate use, though never had chance to burn DL discs. It is getting properly listed in Windows Explorer but won’t recognise any media inserted in it. Dead?[/QUOTE]

You might want to try some commercial CD/DVD lens cleaners and see if that helps before arriving at the conclusion that your drive is dead. I cannot recommend a specific type/brand though, my drives always died of other obvious causes (like drive motors not turning due to overuse lol :p).

Hmm, never thought of that. Will definitely give it a try, thanks for quick reply. Is there a new firmware for it ( after Oct. 27.04)?

Sorry, I really don’t know. But since its an old drive, firmware from 2004/2005 should be some of the more “mature” ones - though I doubt it’s a firmware fault after working fine for a while using your current one.

[QUOTE=Cobra08;2171704]Is there a new firmware for it ( after Oct. 27.04)?[/QUOTE]

The latest firmware for the 1620 is B7W9.