BENQ DW1620 Newbie Questions

vbimport

I bought what was supposed to be a BENQ DW1620, as several people here have told me they give the most accurate scans. Just installed it.

1: In windows device manager & In Nero CD/DVD Speed it shows up as “atapi dvd dd 2x16x4x16 g7v9”. Is this the real thing? Do I need a firmware upgrade? g7v9 appears to be the firmware.

1. It’s also giving the cdr it’s scanning a perfect score of 100 w/ no c1 errors. To put it mildly, I have some doubts about it’s accuracy! I have never seen a perfect scan & I don’t believe this one. See the scan below. The same disc scanned on my Optiarc 7200-a got a 98 W 58 c1’s if i remember right (no cap available at the moment).

2. The lowest setting it will allow me to use to scan a cdr is 12x. However per Nero it’s really scanning at 0.87x. It took 66 minutes to scan a 55 minute cdr. Any comments from those familiar? A 1x scanning time is not going to be realistic or me in the long run. Haven’t yet scanned a dvdr or tried to burn anything. The drive is set as master & shares an ide line with a Plextor cd burner (The Optiarc worked fine in that configuration).

3. It is showing jitter #'s. What is considered acceptable?

All constructive comments welcomed & appreciated. Did I get ripped off with a bad drive or am I doing something wrong, or…?

I will next burn & scan a dvd with it & will post again (this cdr was burned on a Plextor, not on the Benq), but I wanted to post this now.

It is an OEM drive or atleast it has the OEM firmware, it can be cross flashed with the “B” instead of the “G”. B= benQ G= genric(OEM)
Yes the speed is correct(0.88),looks like a good drive to me.
As for jitter anything less than 10% is good.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2593501]It is an OEM drive or atleast it has the OEM firmware, it can be cross flashed with the “B” instead of the “G”. B= benQ G= genric(OEM)
Yes the speed is correct(0.88),looks like a good drive to me.
As for jitter anything less than 10% is good.[/QUOTE]

You’re saying the 100 score/ 0 c1 errors are likely correct?!

I have burned a dvdr with the Benq. The only thing i noticed during burning is “device buffer” showed steady at 86%, my other drives tend to stay around 98%.

First I acanned the burned disc (a Falcon Pro Silver TTH02) with one of my Optiarcs. it showed a slight bit worse than usual for that disc, but playable (see below).

I am currently scanning it with the Benq. on my first attempt, nero gave an error that i didn’t write down, something about a “Server Focus error”. It is now scanning, but only at 0.10x. At this rate the scan will have finished by morning (I set scan speed at maximum!).

Please don’t tell me that forum members find a 12+ hour scan acceptable… PLEASE??!

Back to my original ?, is this likely a firmware issue, a bad drive or is a 0.10x scan speed really nature of the beast for this drive on dvd’s?

The ebay seller did an awful packing job, 2 light wraps of bubble wrap put in a priority mail thin cardboard ENVELOPE.

If the Benq scan ever gets done, i will post both it & the Optiarc 7200-S scan of the same disc.

This thing is really going to take all night to scan 1 dvd, so this is last post.

it is currently at 5% of the disc. Scanning at 0.11x. Score of 97, 18670 pI errors, 0 pi failures.

I’m assuming I have a defective drive.

Again, if these are known issues & if there is a fix, would appreciate the info!

I lied about posting again tonight. I just noticed Scanning with the Benq all but freezes Win 98 (it’s on a 98 box). The os is crawling like a slug. NO OTHER DRIVE HAS EVER DONE THIS. Is this normal Benq behavior?

Remove the drive from your system, if regular speed returns then the drive is bad. First try BQ flasher and retail “B” firmware before you do anything drastic. Also you should scan your CD’s @16x if available or the next available speed and again DVDs @8X.After cross flashing If your not getting any PIF or C1 or normal scanning speeds you have a problem. Only 2 members have scored a 100% DVD burn (myself and Chas 009). :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2593538]Remove the drive from your system, if regular speed returns then the drive is bad. First try BQ flasher and retail “B” firmware before you do anything drastic. Also you should scan your CD’s @16x if available or the next available speed and again DVDs @8X.After cross flashing If your not getting any PIF or C1 or normal scanning speeds you have a problem. Only 2 members have scored a 100% DVD burn (myself and Chas 009). :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

James, I’ll try the flash, thanks. The dvdr scan took over 6 hours on maximum speed. It returned a score of 91, but with 0 PIF’s. Below I’m attaching 2 scans of the same disc, one done on the new Benq & one done on my Sata Optiarc.

The system only runs slow when it’s scanning, but that is new behavior.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2593584]James, I’ll try the flash, thanks. The dvdr scan took over 6 hours on maximum speed. It returned a score of 91, but with 0 PIF’s. Below I’m attaching 2 scans of the same disc, one done on the new Benq & one done on my Sata Optiarc.

The system only runs slow when it’s scanning, but that is new behavior.[/QUOTE]
It is not showing PIF and the Max. scanning/reading speed should be 16x. It is either defective or neutered:bigsmile: by the OEM firmware. Good luck.

James, one last question: Should I use the latest “B” firmware for the 1620, or the b7v9 that matches what’s on here?

One other question for anyone who may know:

It appears that the old support.benq website is gone. Also, the old Japanese site http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm that had the program that is said to have allowed flashing G to B is gone.

I found 2 "b’ firmwares, b7w9 & b7c9. However, I get an error message “this drive is not allowed to be updated”. Anyone know where i can get the hacks in 2011 to update the firmware?

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2593597]James, one last question: Should I use the latest “B” firmware for the 1620, or the b7v9 that matches what’s on here?[/QUOTE]
I would use the last release for scanning. Here is what you need to xflash. http://club.myce.com/f92/bqflasher-149980/
B7W9 is what I was using I think

In case anyone else browsing this thread has the same issue, I finally found windows based
files here including the most recent “W” firmware: (I have 4 drives in the box so was a little afraid to use BQ Flasher in case I selected the wrong drive in dos!)

http://www.the-predator.com/dell/firmware.html#5-1-6

It now seems to scan fine. YAY!!!

1 last question: with this drive, what is the difference between a 4.x scan & a 4.x clv scan?

I have 1 more question:

I am finding (much more on cdr’s than on dvdr’s) that the Benq is saying pretty much all of my cdr burns suck.

What should I consider a quality [B]CDR[/B] threshold with Benq scans & what is the best scanning speed (& again, with or without CLV)?

On dvdr’s it’s close enough to the Optiarc that I can still pretty much interpret the results, though would also like to know if it’s going to be more accurate with or without CLV here also.

Home > CLV
CLV

Tweet
E-mail this Term

Short for constant linear velocity, a method used by most older CD-ROM players to access data. With CLV, the rotation speed of the disk changes based on how close to the center of the disk the data is. For tracks near the center, the disk rotates faster, and for data on the outside, the disk rotates slower.

The purpose of CLV is to ensure a constant data rate regardless of where on the disk the data is being accessed. Because less data can fit on the inside tracks, the disk needs to rotate faster for these areas

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2593619]Home > CLV
CLV

Tweet
E-mail this Term

Short for constant linear velocity, a method used by most older CD-ROM players to access data. With CLV, the rotation speed of the disk changes based on how close to the center of the disk the data is. For tracks near the center, the disk rotates faster, and for data on the outside, the disk rotates slower.

The purpose of CLV is to ensure a constant data rate regardless of where on the disk the data is being accessed. Because less data can fit on the inside tracks, the disk needs to rotate faster for these areas[/QUOTE]

Jethro, thanks for the post. I read similar on Wikipedia, but it doesn’t seem to answer my question, which method of scanning is more accurate on the Benq.

As I was mentioning below, even with the firmware update, I am really starting to question this Benq’s accuracy on cd (again dvd seems fine).

Attached is a scan of a recently purchased factory pressed official music cd with no scratches. It would not scan at all in non CLV mode, & in CLV it produced the following pretty dreadful scan.

If a cdr had scanned that way on the Optiarc 7200-a it would have been in the garbage. Immediately.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the drive a lemon (again all other issues seem solved)? Do Benq cd scans require a special style of interpretation?

The reason I care so much is I have been running into quite a few lame cd blanks. I seem to get acceptable dvdr scans from my Sata Optiarc, but the only cdr scans I was getting that semed to correlate with reality have been from my ide Optiarc which the Benq has replaced.

Try scanning your cdr at 16x instead of 8x

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2593626]Try scanning your cdr at 16x instead of 8x[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried 16X (it offers CLV only at 16X), 24X & 48X; same basic results as the 8x.