Benq DW1620 bug?

vbimport

On Christmas Eve my gift of a Benq DW1620 burner/software package was given to me early. Installation went smoothly both with hardware and software. The drive reads CDs/DVDs just fine, it burns audio and data CDs fine, however, with the burning of DVDs I find myself in quite a pickle. Regardless of wether the DVD I’m burning is a data disc or being authored to play in a DVD player, every time I try to burn one it goes fine for a little while, then either it just stops, or it tells me there is an error - either way I end up with a coaster. I’ve gone through 7 DVDs so far trying everything I could think of and using every piece of software I have that can burn DVDs.

Do I have a faulty burner or is it just the discs? (Memorex DVD-R, doesn’t say what speed)

If you find the time to help with this, being Christmas and all, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Download this and post back what disks you have with screen shot from clipboard > http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

When I identified the disc and clicked the clipboard button I got the following - is this what you mean?:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AF1]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG. AF1]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x]
[6x And Higher Might Not Always Be Detectable]

This was from a Memorex DVD-R disc that has nothing labled in regards to speed and whatnot - only size and length.

Yes that’s the Info for that disk. What firmware is on your BenQ now? Is it an OEM or retail?

I d/led some firmware for it shortly after the problems arose. Didn’t do anything to help though.

Sorry to ask more questions but is UDMA set to 2 in device manager under IDE controller? What motherboard do you have? It could be the disks. You might try some +R disks. Made in Japan Fujifilm are good media. Or try different firmware. B7S9 has helped some people with those disks.

I don’t mind the questions - if it can help me solve the problem without throwing the thing out my window I’ll answer as many as you’d like. This is a Dell computer ( :sigh: ) and as for its motherboard, I don’t know that offhand I’m afraid, but I can definately say that the UDMA is properly configured - I did that right after putting the thing in and I just rechecked it. As for the firmware, I d/led the B7T9 firmware released on benq.ca on December 23rd, so I would assume its the best one out right now.

Memorex DVD-R are sh** discs. Most DVD writers prefer DVD+R I don’t know if Benq is that way or not. Read the forum. Also do you have the aspi layer installed. Required with most copy software except for Nero 6.0 and above. FUJI, TDK,MAXELL. are good discs… I bought some Memorex DVD-R from Walmart that were in a 5 pak in slim cases. My Nec 3500 wouldn’t write to this disks so I took them back. According to your media dump the disks your using should be burnable at 2x and 4x. If your trying to write at higher than 4x they more than likely will have errors I have found that normally 8X and higher generally say so on the disks I bought some fuji DVD-R and these were made in Taiwan. They were very flaky but the Fuji DVD+R made in Japan rock, they are both rated at 8X but the +R’s burn at 16x. I suggest that you take some time and read the MEDIA FORUM and follow the threads. You’ll find good info from others who have also learned from a bad experience.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Dominator2

Reading is Knowledge
Knowledge is Power
Power is absolute :cool: :iagree:

Well if you look in the BenQ forum there have been mixed opinions of B7T9 on being any better. I you want to try B7S9 you can get it here > http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm I personally don’t have any of those disks to try but someone else that stumbles across this post might and answer. I use mainly +R disks and bitset them to DVD-ROM with BenQ’s BookType Manager. I buy +R media that are Made In Japan only or Verbatim Taiwan 8x and 16x which are MCC003 and MCC004.

You’re gonna have to excuse me on part of that - I know enough about computers to get by, but in regards to exact terms I can’t remember them to save my life - so could you please refresh my memory as to what an aspi layer is? In terms of the DVD-Rs - I got a 10pak from Staples that were in DVD cases. I would also try burning one at 2x but I can’t get the option to change the speed on any of the software I’m using (I could on Nero, but I have to reinstall it once I go back to school and get my disc back)

If you don’t have Roxio DON’T put it on your PC.

Don’t put what? Nero?

Try some better quality disks and see if that helps. Do you have a Best Buy there? If so get some Fujifilm 8x disks and make sure they say Made In Japan on the label.

Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator. It’s crap! I use Anydvd and CloneDVD2 from here to back up my disks > http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Yes, I have a bestbuy near me, but thats when I’m at college, here however, I’ve got a Staples and a friggin Walmart - and I think they’re both closed because its Christmas though. I’ll try to call them later to find out for sure.

BenQ released B7S9 to China supposedly for cheaper disks to burn better. I just never liked Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator. Use Nero if you need a DVD burner program. But if you are backing up your DVD collection i use the software in the above post.

Try B7S9 or buy better quality disks…Read through the forums if you have some time. Alot of info here.

Actually the reason I asked for and got my DVD burner was to assist me in college - mainly to back up my photography and video projects, and author those projects to play in standard DVD players. I found the software that came with the burner to work real well, as does Nero, but I have to reinstall that because of a problem it has which I actually know how to fix, to my complete shock.

Oh, and I did change my firmware to B7S9 - I just need to reboot to have it take effect. Then I’ll try again.

And thank you for all the help so far BTW, considering I can’t get help literally anywhere else today, you’ve been a real lifesaver.