Benq DW1610 writes faulty DVDs-Solutions?

vbimport

Moved. My problem is that when copying movies and burning with Nero 5.5.10, the DVD is writen completely and ‘succesful’ however, when Nero scans the disc it finds errors and the dvd is useless.

I have already writen 17 discs succesfully while 10 other discs have been unsuccesfull. This makes about 1 success for every two trials. Is that normal to have such high error rate? I wonder if this is caused by the drive or is it due to the media. I’m using a generic DVD+R brand, cheap, which should be burn at 4X. I’m burning them at 2.4X but still the problems come. Any help is welcome.

I saw that a new firmware is available (B8M9). Ok. So I upgraded the Firmware to B8M9 and burned the DVD at 4X (the same title that failed three consecutive times before) and guess what: It was burned succesfully!

Still, I will need to do more dvd copying to make sure it is consistent and not a random success event. Will post latter.

(Sorry for double posting;I’m new here. Moderator, please delete message in General Hardware Forum. Thanks.)

The latest firmware for Benq is B7T9.

The errors Nero finds, are that with Data Verifikation.

If so, don’t trust the scan.

Use cdspeed and make a Transfer Rate test. Secondary you can also do a Disk Quality test.

Make a image of the faulty disk. If you can make a image without read problems, your problem are with Data Verifikation and not the burn itself.

jbv > B7T9 is for a BenQ 1620 not 1610. You might want to upgrade your Nero to 6.xxx version not sure if your version supports your drive.

Sorry, missed it was a 1610 and not a 1620.

Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Jbv: Thanks for the advice. I’m using Nero CD speed (version 1.0 !) to double check the dvd which finds defective sectors. This is confirmed when I play the DVD with any player: the program freezes up or displays a message. Anyways, I am going to upgrade to the new version (3.6 I guess); it seems that I can record DVDs with that, directly? I’m not familiar with those options since I’m always ripping the movie to the hard drive and use DVDshrink-Nero for backup.

And cheap media will give you more problems at a more consistent level then the more expensive media. My advice would be to get some Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, Fuji’s, Maxell, Verbatim, etc and try them. Either + or -R shouldn’t matter for the BenQ although the BenQ does seem to prefer +R media more than -R.

The question I really have to ask is what is the Media ID of this media you are using for your burns?

Did nero 5.10 not have quite a few bugs in it, try changing to nero 6 or the most up to date version of nero 5.

Braxas: When I check the UPC/EAN code of the media with Nero Burning ROM (5.5.10), is not shown; if I check with CDspeed, the medium info is blank. So, it’s probably an unsuported brand. No wonder why I got so many failures.

Quakester2000: probably Nero 5.5.10 is ok, I tend to suspect more the cheap media than the burner-software, but it may depends on each case.