BENQ DW1610 media tests

vbimport

I just bought BENQ DW1610 and hope there are people here interested to share their media test, unless of course it burns as 1620.
So far the only problem I have is max. transfer mode is MW DMA 2( 16.6
Sp far I didn’t notice any difference between B8M9 and B8S9 firmaware,

Here is my test of BENQ 8x burned at 8x with Sonic Record Now 7.21. Notice a hump in PI errors (so far on every BENQ)

General Information
Drive: BENQ DVD DUAL DW1610
Firmware: B8M9
Disc: DVD+R (DAXON AZ2)
Selected speed: Maximum
PI errors
Maximum: 217
Average: 32.02
Total: 482750
PI failures
Maximum: 9
Average: 0.44
Total: 4672
PO failures: 0
Jitter
Maximum: 10.0 %
Average: 8.23 %
Scanning statistics
Number of samples: 17537
Average scanning interval: 8.04 ECC
Glitches removed: 0
General Information
Disc: DVD+RW (INFODISC A10)
PI errors
Maximum: 111
Average: 16.51
Total: 225588
PI failures
Maximum: 34
Average: 0.98
Total: 10770
Jitter
Maximum: 12.0 %
Average: 9.38 %
Scanning statistics
Number of samples: 17725
Average scanning interval: 8.06 ECC

Here is Mitsumi DVD+R Media sold in 5 pack at Futureshop

General Information
Disc: DVD+RW (INFODISC A10)
PI errors
Maximum: 111
Average: 16.51
Total: 225588
PI failures
Maximum: 34
Average: 0.98
Total: 10770
Jitter
Maximum: 12.0 %
Average: 9.38 %
Scanning statistics
Number of samples: 17725
Average scanning interval: 8.06 ECC

Multi-Word DMA 2 indicates that Windows is trying to turn DMA on.
Your computer has U-DMA shut off.

This could be an installation issue, a bios setting or a driver issue.

A high quality 80 wire cable in use, connected to the motherboard’s secondary IDE outlet, and nothing else but the BenQ, would be an optimal installation.

In the BIOS, standard screen, the channel in use (recommended Master of Secondary IDE) should be set to Auto Detect with Auto Type. Also in BIOS, check around to see that UDMA is not set to disabled.

If a previous optical drive was connected to exactly the same IDE port AND that previous optical drive did not use UDMA, then you may need to clear the CMOS to get it “unstuck” from the protocol used by any previous drive.

If these steps do not clear up this issue, consider a visit to the motherboard manufacturer’s web site to get a BIOS update.

If you are not using Windows XP, then you may need to visit the motherboard chipset manufacturer’s website for updated chipset support drivers. These are not usually necessary for Windows XP.

P.S. That IS a decent Daxon AZ2 burn. Check playback in your set-top player to determine appropriate write speeds for this media. If choppy, then slow down.

P.P.S. The expanse of yellow PI failures completely across the graph at the very low “1” level on the Optodisc scan is caused by “UDMA disabled at motherboard” issue. Those errors will be much “thinner” once UDMA is switched on.

Thank you for a reply Danielwritesback.

UDMA is set to Auto and at the boot screen info table POST shows them set to UDMA 33. I used both 40 wire and 80 wire cable even though it’s not necessary for UDMA Mode 2. I think it’s some bug with Windows XP, I installed the patch from MS but it didn’t help.
I also tried SONY DVD+R 25 pack, nice media, but somehow my Toshiba 1402 DVD-ROM doesn’t read them (BENQ DAXON AZ2 - no problem) . Book type was set to DVD-ROM.
But there is the same hump on SONY media in PI errors, but its peak is at 43 comparing to 200 for DAXON.

General Information
Firmware: B8S9
Disc: DVD+R (SONY D11)
PI errors
Maximum: 44
Average: 14.72
Total: 163434
PI failures
Maximum: 5
Average: 0.06
Total: 481
Jitter
Maximum: 12.8 %
Average: 10.97 %
Scanning statistics
Number of samples: 14414
Average scanning interval: 8.07 ECC

Well, that transfer rate does put a 12x “cap” on your speed. But, really there’s only a few seconds difference between 12x and 16x (because speeds are like an automobile accelerating from 0 to 60).

You might check with the manufacturer of your motherboard to see if there’s a BIOS update.

Do you have XP SP2? It works fine for most people.

You might check with the chipset makers (SIS, Intel, VIA, Nivida, Ali–one of these) to see if they have any updated 3rd party drivers for your motherboard’s chipset. While 3rd party IDE drivers can cause trouble, the real point of them is to reduce trouble. Anyway, they are easy to try and easy to uninstall.

And, those scans look pretty good. Next firmware will smooth out that Daxon scan. That firmware is not out yet. Until then, use 4x for your Daxon if you get choppy playback on your set-top player (depends on the set-top player). For data, 12x is just fine for the Daxon. And, that’s exactly how my 1620 burned that media before the latest firmware brought the peaks down to the 100’s. Your Sony D11 did not experience IDE mode inspired errors (usually seen as fat PIF). That scan looks good.