BenQ DW 1655 and Bad TRTs!

vbimport

Hi

It appears that almost any DVD wherever it is burned will have a bad TRT in my BenQ 1655. My Samsung SH-S223Q will take exact same burned DVD and the TRT will be good.

MCC 004
Verbatim branded
MID: UAE
100-spindle bought at Office Max
burned @16x in the BenQ 1655 BCIB
SB Off/Off

Different drives have different read capabilities, but this behavior seems rather strange indeed :doh:

My guess is that the BenQ is showing signs of aging, or maybe some dust in the optical pickup. I wonder if a cleaning will solve :slight_smile:

Do you have a scan of the disc to be sure that a large amount of PIF errors is not the real cause? :slight_smile:

MCC 004
Verbatim branded
MID: UAE
100-spindle bought at Office Max
burned @16x in the BenQ 1655 BCIB
SB Off/Off

It looks like you are right Geno!
Very high PIF that there before.
I have a cleaning CD and canned air…

TYG03
unbranded Taiyo Yuden
MIJ
SolidBurn Off/Off
burned @16x
Nero DiscSpeed 5 create disc

High PIF and even some POF!

Scan these discs with your Sammy to get a second opinion.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2535420]Scan these discs with your Sammy to get a second opinion.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi Michael,

TYG03
unbranded Taiyo Yuden
MIJ
SolidBurn Off/Off on BenQ 1655
burned @16x
Nero DiscSpeed 5 create disc

:aThis is brutal!!!

Most PIF errors are on the inner part of disc. I wonder why TRT is irregular only in external part :doh:

[QUOTE=geno888;2535432]Most PIF errors are on the inner part of disc. I wonder why TRT is irregular only in external part :doh:[/QUOTE]

Hi geno,

I may replace the Samsung SH-S223Q this month with a Samsung SH-S243N/BEBS. As for my beloved BenQ 1655, i simply do not know what to do…

NBK

If the drive is still working, I suggest to keep it to use for disc verification or for DVD ripping. Even in the most external part reading speed is slower, this doesn’t means that data are read wrongly.

If you use that drive for disc verifying after burning with ImgBurn for example, you can give enough time to the burner to cool down if you have to do consecutive burns :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2535560]If the drive is still working, I suggest to keep it to use for disc verification or for DVD ripping. Even in the most external part reading speed is slower, this doesn’t means that data are read wrongly.

I will keep my BenQ 1655 for Quality Scans only…

If you use that drive for disc verifying after burning with ImgBurn for example, you can give enough time to the burner to cool down if you have to do consecutive burns :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a good idea! Thanks!

I will order a Samsung SH-S243N this week and this time i will test with various media, unlike the SH-S223Q which i did not test thoroughly when i bought 2yrs ago…

NBK

[QUOTE=NBK;2535574]That sounds like a good idea! Thanks!

I will order a Samsung SH-S243N this week and this time i will test with various media, unlike the SH-S223Q which i did not test thoroughly when i bought 2yrs ago…

NBK[/QUOTE]
Hey, you will love the 243N it is a nice burning drive. I think all of the 223 line were not good burners but they are good reading/ripping drives. HAPPY BURNING! Take a look at the 243 thread if you have not already, there are some impressive scans posted.:smiley:

Verbatim branded MKM 001
DVD+R DL
MIS
burned @4x by ImgBrn 2.5.1 in Samsung SH-S233Q

:aWhat do i do with the BenQ 1655?:a

ouch :doh:

It seems that the drive is ready to give up :frowning:

[QUOTE=geno888;2535926]ouch :doh:

It seems that the drive is ready to give up :([/QUOTE]

Hi Geno,

Is there a reliable DVD Burner is could use as a scanner since BenQ 1655s are near impossible to find?

NBK

If you can find a genuine Plextor you can get reliable scans.

Otherwise, the only alternative is a Lite-On drive. Too bad, the most recent models use different chipsets, and most stores don’t specify what chipset is in the drive, so there is a risk that you get a drive not suitable for scans :frowning:

[QUOTE=geno888;2535991]If you can find a genuine Plextor you can get reliable scans.

Otherwise, the only alternative is a Lite-On drive. Too bad, the most recent models use different chipsets, and most stores don’t specify what chipset is in the drive, so there is a risk that you get a drive not suitable for scans :([/QUOTE]

Thanks geno,

Can my old Lite-ON LH-20A1L 06C serve as a scanner?

[QUOTE=geno888;2535991]If you can find a genuine Plextor you can get reliable scans.

Otherwise, the only alternative is a Lite-On drive. Too bad, the most recent models use different chipsets, and most stores don’t specify what chipset is in the drive, so there is a risk that you get a drive not suitable for scans :([/QUOTE]

I disagree on the plextor part, benq or liteon drives can do the same job very well.
Most of the stores simply want to sell, and 99% has no idea about what chipset the drive is using.

[B]@NBK[/B]

Both drives, the samsung and the benq slowdown at the same place, so either this was a bad disc, or a bad burned disc, the only way to find out where the problems is, is to burn the disc again in another drive. Give your liteon a chance, after all you will only loosing one disc.

Sony branded TYG03
burned at 16x by Nero DiscSpeed 4.x 'Create Disc
SB off/off
MIJ
batch# GH000142

@ vroom

:aMy BenQ is just too inconsistent to trust. I will probably press my Lite-On LH-20A1L back into quality scanning service. My Samsung SH-S243N arrives today and it will replace my SH-S223Q as my primary burner!

[QUOTE=NBK;2536129]@ vroom

:aMy BenQ is just too inconsistent to trust. I will probably press my Lite-On LH-20A1L back into quality scanning service. My Samsung SH-S243N arrives today and it will replace my SH-S223Q as my primary burner![/QUOTE]

OK, the thing that caught my attention was that both drives slowed in the same place, if you still have that disc you can do a TRT and a quality scan with the lite just to compare the results.

The 243 looks like a great drive, if i only could find one here.