BenQ drives and Adobe Premiere compatiblity

vbimport

Hi, Newbie here…
I am looking to buy a great DVD burner.
I’ve searched all over the CDFreaks forums looking for the “best” overall burner. The general consensus seems to be BenQ 1620, NEC 3520a, Pioneer 108, Liteon SOHW-1653.

My real question is…
I plan to use Adobe Premiere Pro to edit and burn home movies.

Is the BenQ 1620 compatible with Adobe Premiere?
or maybe I’ll end up getting Pinnacle Systems 9 software.

Have anyone had any problems with this software?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Well, a few things I want to point out:

Premiere Pro does not include a DVD authoring app. It has an “Export to DVD” function but it’s fairly basic. I use Adobe Encore DVD to author my DVDs after editing in Premiere, it’s a pretty smooth workflow. You could also use something like Nero or Roxio for the authoring part… in which case, it doesn’t matter if the Benq is compatible with Premiere or not.

For reference… I edit .AVI files in Premiere, and import the edited video to Encore, where I make menus/chapters etc. Encore then renders the whole thing to DVD compatible MPEG2 files and burns those to a DVD (on the DVD these show up as .VOB files). Encore DVD 1.5 is compatible with the 1620 (it’s on Adobe’s recommended list).

I started out using Studio 9, so I have some insight into that as well:

I could not get it to capture from the 2 capture devices I used: an Aver DVDMaker USB2.0 and a TDK Indicapture. With the Aver it was an issue with the audio part (it captures the audio via the soundcard) and I never figured out why it couldn’t capture from the TDK. So I had to use ArcSoft Showbiz (which came with the TDK) to capture, and then import that into Studio.

Studio has instability problems on anything but Intel hardware. They state to avoid any Via or nVidia chipsets. I experienced this as well… random occasional crashing… on a nForce 2 400 board.

Studio doesn’t burn 100% compatible DVD structures… you end up with 2 files on your DVD that a standard DVD structure wouldn’t have (I can’t remember the names right now, but I think one of them was “Author”). Because of this, if you have a large DVD that won’t fit on a DVD5 and you write the files to your HD, programs like Recode won’t recognize it as a valid DVD until you delete those files.

I didn’t find Studio’s compression to be very good. I found Recode to work much better, and the resulting image looked better.

You can expect 6-hour rendering sessions with Studio as well. Even if you capture in MPEG2, Studio has to re-render the files to create a DVD.

All that said, Pinnacle Studio is a nice product with a lot of capabilities if you have compatible hardware and don’t mind it’s idiosyncracies. It has a huge amount of features, and you don’t need an external DVD authoring app with it.

But… comparing Premiere Pro and Studio 9 is not logical, because they serve different markets. It just depends on what you want to do.

Thanks Slow Ride. I appreciate your insight.
My motherboard is a VIA. Sounds like you’re suggesting going with the BenQ and using Premiere and Encore.

Thanks again.

Well, Premiere/Encore is a pretty expensive solution with a reasonably high learning curve… but you can do professional DVDs with it. There are other solutions that may do what you need them to (Premiere Elements, Sonic DVDit come to mind) as well as free/shareware stuff that could work too. So it just depends on how far you want to take it (or how much you want to spend).

FWIW, I did my first DVD with NeroVision.

I do highly recommend the Benq though… I love mine.

Oh yeah, the Benq will work with Studio 9, also.