Benq compatible with my pc?

vbimport

Hi, you’ve got an extreme newbie here when it comes to hardware.

I’m thinking about buying a benq DW-1650 DVD burner at eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8814299589&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I’m not sure about it’s compatibility with my pc (it’s 4 yrs old) and whether I can use the cables, etc, from my present CD-R/RW DVD-ROM drive. Hardware info about my pc from a Belarc Report:

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) CS K7S5A
Asset Tag: 0123ABC
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
950 megahertz AMD Duron
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
64 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ECS K7S5A
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01
Drives Memory Modules c,d
1271.41 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
308.88 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492A [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

IOMEGA ZIP 100 [Hard drive] - drive 2
Maxtor 6E040L0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) - drive 0, s/n E154X6FE, rev NAR61590, SMART Status: Healthy
Maxtor OneTouch II IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device [Hard drive] (300.08 GB) - drive 4
Maxtor OneTouch II IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device [Hard drive] (300.08 GB) - drive 6
Maxtor OneTouch II IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device [Hard drive] (300.08 GB) - drive 3
ST325082 4A USB Device [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) - drive 5
WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) - drive 1, rev 77.07W77, SMART Status: Healthy
768 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot ‘0’ has 256 MB
Slot ‘1’ has 512 MB
Slot ‘2’ is Empty
Slot ‘3’ is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 41.10 GB 15.57 GB free
f: (FAT32 on drive 1) 80.00 GB 10.58 GB free
g: (NTFS on drive 3) 300.08 GB 64.04 GB free
h: (NTFS on drive 4) 300.08 GB 4.50 GB free
i: (NTFS on drive 6) 300.08 GB 134.26 GB free
j: (NTFS on drive 5) 250.06 GB 79.93 GB free

Network Drives
  None detected

Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Administrator
4/26/2005 3:14:37 AM (admin)
owner
4/24/2006 1:19:45 PM (admin)
local system accounts
ASPNET
never
never
HelpAssistant
never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account
HP DeskJet 812C on LPT1:

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
SiS PCI IDE Controller RADEON 8500 / RADEON 8500 LE (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]
Envision EN9410e [Monitor] (19.1"vis, October 2005)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (2x)
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller (2x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller C-Media AC97 Audio Device
Communications Other Devices

Networking Dns Servers: 24.34.240.34
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Easy Internet Keyboard
Maxtor 1394 Storage Front Panel (3x)
Maxtor OneTouch II (3x)
Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
SBP2 Compliant IEEE 1394 device (3x)
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (5x)

Sorry if it’s an overabundance of info but I’m never sure what info you guys/ladies might need.

I’ve gone around the net and I have too much info to take into consideration, such as one site said that the power supply doesn’t come with the burner. :confused:

I just need to know if this burner would be compatible with my pc, if my processor can handle it and what else I’ll need to buy to install it. Will the cables for my present burner fit with this one/are they all the same for every burner? Or will I need to buy new one and, if so, what kind?

Denise

No offense intended here, but DO NOT buy it on Ebay, you can buy it from Newegg.com (very reputable retailer) for $37 shipped - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101010.

The 1650 is a very good burner so you’ve made a good choice there. Yes, it will work with your computer. At most, you might end up needing to buy a different ‘IDE’ cable, the older ones have 40 wires and the newer have 80 - they look physically about the same except that the 80 will visibly have narrower and more wires. I know there’s a good example photo around here, otherwise just do a web search and you’ll find plenty of info I’m sure. Otherwise your drive will not be able to operate at full speed. Also, in older, slower systems you may not be able to achieve full 16x burn/read speeds, but the drive will work fine otherwise. 8x and probably 12x burns will be ok, and 16x media burns better at 12x so it isn’t that big of a deal IMO.

http://www.benq.com/products/Storage/?product=610&page=specifications

read the specs on the 1650 drive from the BENQ website. from what you posted the drive should work fine. you may have to buy new ide cables if the one you have doesn’t work for some reason. i buy many dvd burners and computer components from computergeeks.com with no problems at all. interesting they advertise the drive for $34.99 on their ebay auction but at their website it’s selling for $37.99. :slight_smile:

scoobiedoobie i’ve bought benq oem drives from computergeeks.com and have had no problems. they are a reputable online retailer. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I didn’t notice the seller, I’ve purchased from them without problems as well. Having said that, I still see no reason to buy off Ebay when you can just order it from a retailer’s own website, regardless of who you buy it from. If you want to pay more to support a specifc retailer, I won’t argue with that. But if you have no preference, Newegg is several dollars less.

Hi,

I wouldn’t buy new hardware at ebay, but this is a matter of personal preference.

I’m not sure about it’s compatibility with my pc (it’s 4 yrs old) and whether I can use the cables, etc, from my present CD-R/RW DVD-ROM drive.
That drive should work in your system. Maybe you’ll have to change the data cable (40 wire) for a 80 wire type, but you can try with your existing cable.
More important are the jumper settings. If you want to replace your old drive, that is set to master, then you’ll have to change the jumpers at the new drive accordingly. My retail 1650 was set to slave as factory default.

I just need to know if this burner would be compatible with my pc, if my processor can handle it and what else I’ll need to buy to install it. Will the cables for my present burner fit with this one/are they all the same for every burner? Or will I need to buy new one and, if so, what kind?
Yes, that drive will work in your computer, and you can use your existing cables (and screws). There is no need to buy additional things. Replacing the existing 40 wire cable by an 80 wire is recommended, but not necessary.

regards,
Michael

For most yes Newegg is several dollars less but for me ordering anything from Computergeeks.com is cheaper. Because their ground shipping cost to Hawaii is much cheaper than Newegg. I guess it depends on how the shipping contracts are done. I can order the BENQ 1650 drive from Computergeeks.com with 3-5 days ground shipping at $9.00 and the drive actually is shipped at 2 days air economy which I receive in 3 days. From Newegg.com it would cost me 2 days shipping at $21.51 or ground shipping $16.12. That’s why when those rebadged BENQ drives go on sale at Compusa I buy lots of them! :wink: :smiley:

Denise_M, I’ll add a few “technical” notes… :wink:

Your mobo uses SiS 735 chipset, the one chip solution. Not that much is known about this chips compatibility with modern optical drives but I hope it will manage to handle your new 1650.
Chipset and IDE drivers might need to be upgraded though.

Your HDD’s. I suggest you to rearange HD drives making the fastest/newest drive (WDC WD800JB) as your “C”.
Also you have external firewire/USB2 connected HDD’s. Don’t know if they will be able to keep up the speed for burning from them.

There is no information about your memory speeds, are they SDRAM or DDR?
CPU-Z is able to show you this and much more.

BenQ 1650 is a 16x burner, on your setup I have hard to believe you’ll be able to burn anything faster then 12x. Not negative in any way because most of todays 16x media burns quite good at 12x anyway.

Moving the operating system from one drive to another is a difficult and dangerous excercise, unless you’re an IT professional used to doing that kind of stuff. Plenty of things kan go wrong in the process.

Denise_M, I suggest you leave this as is unless you already know how to do it and have done it before!

The FireWire harddrives may be able to keep up with 16x burning, but the USB harddrive will probably only be able to cope with 8x burning. That’s from experiments done on my own system.

I never suggested to “move” anything.
Clean install of OS is the way to go. :smiley: