Benq CD-R Media

Hi Folks,

On this page :http://www.dvdr2u.com/subcategory.aspx?subcatid=86

you will 16 different Benq cd-r products, ranging from 170thb (4.8US$) per 50 to 310thb (8.8US$) per 50.

My question is: is there any liklihood that the actual tech. spec. of the various CDs is any different in the different varieties, beyond the fancy graphics, I like Benq media I have tried the cheapest one in the list Nano, it is made by Daxon in Malaysia, but to me it seems a bit flimsy and you can see the design pattern easily when you hold it up to the light, is this significant? I have had no problems burning it.

Any input will be gratefully received.

One of the generally accepted ideas when buying optical media is: [U]you get what you pay for[/U]. There are different “grades” of media that are sold to (or manufactured for) different brands, and the highest quality discs are mostly only for well-known brands as these are also priced higher by the manufacturer.

The “thinness” or translucency of the disc may be a visual cue that the disc may have low reflectivity and may give players/drives a hard time reading it, but this is not always the case. I would prefer opaque discs than transparent ones, but it might just be a matter of taste and not a qualifier of absolute reflectivity.

If it burns well, reads well, has good longevity and fits your purposes for the media, then the transparency of a CD shouldn’t be a problem. If it is cheaper - well it’s a good buy then. :wink: I also have Daxon media of differing brands - from Verbatim, no-name, and even BenQ - and while even the Verbatim (a good brand) is slightly transparent I have never had any problems with it. There are some reports of Daxon media “peeling”, but there are not enough instances of it happening for it to be representative of the whole Daxon CD-R line.