BenQ and the Chamber of Secrets

vbimport

Here’s a short tale of our favorite drive, the 1620. In this case, a plain clothes OEM, with G7P9.

So, my 3 year old cracks the DVD of Harry Potter 2, and he was just getting to where he liked the movie. With some surprise I found it at our local public library, so I checked it out and thought I’d have BenQ do what it does best.

The DVD has been in obvious public circulation. I had to clean off what must have been a soup of saliva, candy, grease and possibly peanut butter, just to see the scratches and circular groves. None of my 3 DVD players could show the menu.

The scan is attached below.

At the time I was running TMPGEnc on a high quality re-encoding of an old DivX treasure, with filters and such that kept at least one of the two CPU’s in my computer quite busy. There was enough power left over, though, for DVDShrink to pull out a movie from this dusty relic of a DVD in just under 30 minutes at the same time (go dual - you’ll never want to give it up if you do - even though my AMD MP2600’s are a bit dated now, I get more out of it than a single CPU machine at 4Ghz, overclocked).

The result is a faithful copy of the “unreadable” original.

Anyway, it’s just one more thing you can do with a BenQ!

Yes, NEC drives can’t read anywhere near this level. I love my BenQ DW1620s.
:slight_smile:

Sometimes I use DVD-decryptor with “ignore errors” switched on to read a damaged disc. For instance, a disc with an extra hole in the wrong place (apparently, Wen cordless drills lack safety features to prevent operation by bored housepets, or maybe I should not leave tools out.). Next, I send it through NeroVision and subtract the damaged section. Nerovision will then transcode the video and eliminate any timing issues so that the end product will not freeze or hiccup.

Is there a better software to use (with the BenQ) in extracting information from a damaged disc?

Sometimes I use DVD-decryptor with “ignore errors” switched on to read a damaged disc.

Good point. I haven’t acquired a copy of it yet.

Maybe give a try to IsoBuster.

I hope you’ll pardon the joy of an insufferable newbie…

I know we’re all focused on DVD media here, but I just had to relate this BenQ story. I don’t know if any other DVD drives do this as well, but certainly not the IOMEGA 8x drives (probably a rebadged BTC) my father had.

A while back (maybe two years now), my father (a master of computer technologies in his own right) picked up a deal on “duplicator grade” CD-R’s, which we’ve been using for a while now (he shared 200 of them with me). On my old Memorex CD-RW drive, they couldn’t be cut beyond 4x (600Kbytes per second). The ID is CMC magnetics. Anything above 4x would produce an unreadable CD.

Now since I’ve had my BenQ for a few weeks, I’ve been very happy with 4x DVD media, because that’s about the same as 32x in CD speeds, relative to backing up data. On a lark, I popped in one of the old CMC Mag CD-R’s, and wrote a 600Mbyte backup of some material. The BenQ wrote these CD-R’s at 16 X – and the scan is quite good! All data verified correctly!

So, I tried a music CD at 16x, and the thing plays on all of my players, including the old one in the car!

This is just TOO good!

That Memorex, a Lite-On rebadge, was once considered a fair CD burner.

The BenQ, on the other hand, is just outstanding at it!

I had to wait nearly 20 minutes to cut 700Mbytes on these discs before! I’m getting reliable burns on the same CD-R media in under 6 minutes!

I realize that’s not impressive compared to 4Bytes in 6 minutes, but when I need to backup a 400Mbyte graphics project, this is ideal – for about 2 cents!