BenQ and Qscan question

vbimport

Hi!
Just joined your forum after purchasing an OEM 1620 and like one of your recent posts with this this forum’s help now have a “retail” 1620 with B7P9–thanks much!! Have a number of questions, but some already answered by searching thru posts. This one I can’t find anything on–I’m currently running Qscan ver 1.0 and am scanning a few of the “cheapy” DVD’s I had sitting around. Everyone says it has 4076.0 MB of blank disk capacity. I thought I could burn upwards of 4400 MB on a blank DVD. Does this mean on the disks I’m scanning I should force a burn of only 4076 MB’s?? Or is this all the usable space this program checks because there are a lot of instances when the worst burns come after that point??

Also I noticed a fairly long post on media for the B7T9 FW, are there any posts for recommended media for the B7P9 FW?? Plan on using DVD-R and probably 8X. Is there really any reason the recommendations for the B7T9 won’t work on the B7P9??

Thanks for any and all pointers–again this whole forum, not just this section has a wealth of information–great job to all!!!

Some members feel that B7P9 produces better burns than B7T9 - at least for the discs they use.

For my media, B7T9 works fine.

I like to go with the latest firmware if possible, since firmware bugs that may cause occasional coasters are likely to be fixed as later releases come out.

I currently have firmware version B7P9 on my two BenQ DW1620s and I really like it for my media. Regarding DVD-R media at 8x speed, I use and like the following with B7P9: Fujifilm brand that says made in Japan (TYG02) burned at 12x speed, and also Memorex brand (RITEKG05) burned at 8x speed. These have given me good results and the burned discs have always played back with no errors on my home DVD players. I don’t do a lot of DVD-R burns since I have no need to. But, I always keep some around in case a friend’s DVD player will only accept DVD-R discs. I hope this helps you out. :smiley:

I would just ignore the blank disc capacity in QScan. Version 1.0 is the first and only version, and this capacity misstatement appears to be a bug. The true writable media capacity is about 4.7 GB (decimal system). Computer storage devices have been using 1,000 bytes per kilobyte for years. 4.38 GB is the measurement when the outmoded computer binary measurement of 1,024 bytes per kilobyte is used. Click the link for an overview of Storage Capacity Measurement Standards.

It looks like whoever wrote QScan may have converted the capacity twice instead of once, or something equally erroneous. :slight_smile:

Socrates: Thanks for the info-appreciate your input. Just one question about the above quote, does this mean you do most of your burns now with DVD+R disks instead of DVD-R, or just don’t burn much anymore?? Maybe I should reconsider and go with DVD+R. Let me know!! My home DVD player is a JVC XV-523, a little older and it doesn’t say anything in the manual about +R media since I don’t think they were developed when this was made.

Inertia: Also thanks for clearing that up for me. Thru me for a loop when it said 4076 MB. I’m sure if only using that much space more disks could be usable however since it appears most bad burns appear in the region after 4076!!

I burn every day. Sometimes I burn several times a day. I just meant that I prefer the DVD+R discs. This is because I can bitset them to DVD-ROM and they work in all of my home DVD players, most of my friend’s DVD players, and most of my family’s DVD players. Once in a while I still come across someone who has a DVD player that has to have a DVD-R disc. In those cases I will burn DVD-R. I prefer the DVD+R standard. That’s all.

You can go to this link and see what other JVC XV-523 owners have said. I did a quick read and it appears that some say DVD-R works, others say DVD+R works, some say that both types work, and a few say that neither of them work. It looks like you’ll have to do many tests with various types to see which, if any, work for you. It sounds like an older machine and they can be very picky.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDnameid=119#comments

bcsman: I was also puzzled by the Qscan 4076 GB. Couple of days ago, I just burned a 4.3 GB movie and there is no problem at all.

Hi
Find myself in same situation as 1st post(bcsman) Just ordered new benq1620 oem (no software) here in the UK.I have a pioneer DVR-A07 & have only ever used DVD-r disks (ritek 04).

Why do you use “bitset”(Whatever that is) to convert a DVD+r to DVD-r when you could buy DVD-r disks?

Obviously I am not understanding something here.If someone could explain I would appreciate it.

When you bitset a DVD+R, DVD+RW, or DVD+R DL disc, it’s changed to be read as a DVD-ROM; not DVD-R. This allows greater playback compatibility with some DVD players that would not otherwise playback DVD+R discs, etc.

DVD-R discs can’t be changed via any bitsetting so they always get read by DVD players as DVD-R discs. I hope that clears things up for you.

bcsman - about size.

It’s not a problem, your burning software should tell you when you’ve overstuffed the compilation.

However, to compliment Inertia’s point:

The definition of a kilobyte is usually 1024 bytes. That’s fairly commonly accepted now.

However, a Megabyte is referenced by various forms. What is called decimal, and what the world usually expects, is one million. However, it’s sometimes referenced as 1,000 kilobytes, and sometimes it’s a K of K’s, or 1024 x 1024, to keep it a power of 2.

The Gigabyte is just as bad. Depending on the care taken by the programmer, an application might consider a Gigabyte as 1,000 x 1024 x 1024, or as 1024 x 1024 x 1024, or as 1000 x 1000 x 1024, or as the world should expect, exactly one billion.

I spent a few hours, in 1998, fretting over a lost 20 Mbytes on a Seagate hard drive, simply because the BIOS defined a Mbyte as 1024 x 1024, but Seagate defined a Mbyte as one million bytes.

In fact, they both referred to the same number of bytes - but it was like comparing miles to kilometers.

…and I’ll bet that doesn’t help one little bit, either!

This lack of uniformity in reporting drive/disc capacities has made me go mad at times (or at least grey - just look at my picture). I know what you’re saying and have gone through; been there myself too many times. :iagree:

Socrates007

Thanks for the reply.It is a lot clearer now

misread your post saw DVD-r instead of DVD-rom
(will have to do some google’ing on format differences I think)