BenQ 8x DVD+R (+RW)

vbimport

Bought these a while ago and I just scanned a disc with DVD Identifier and the ID was one I have never seen before on this board (maybe I’m too much of a newbie…) Here it is :

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:DAXON-AZ2-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Daxon Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [DAXON]
Media Type ID : [AZ2]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I wrote “+RW” in the topic because there is a little “RW” sign that appears on each disc, just below the line made for writing purposes on them. I don’t believe these discs are actually DVD+RW as I’ve tried to delete one and wasn’t able to. They don’t identify as +RW with DVD Identifier anyway.

I’d run a DVD error/quality test, but I’ve tried with my Nero CD-DVD Speed program and it only gave me this image attached below… maybe someone could let me know how to do a scan that would give me more information?

What more do you want to know? Daxon isnt known to make great discs.

The +RW logo is just a logo, you obviously have write-once media. You can also use dvdinfo to get similar data to what you have.

So you’re telling me the 50 DVD+R I’ve written are bad?

What does this mean exactly? Will I lose the data that is on them? I’m not sure I understand exactly what people around here mean by “bad media”. If you could explain this a little bit more in details to me, I would like that. :slight_smile: Thanks…

Firstly just so you know, LG drives cannot do quality tests because of restricted firmware.

The RW logo is the logo for the +RW alliance, is used on most +r media (http://www.dvdrw.com/)

On -r media there is sometimes the DVD logo with R written underneath.
(http://www.dvdforum.com/forum.shtml)

The transfer test that you posted isnt one of the worst i have seen.

It is probably best for you to play the dvd all the way through on a standalone and watch for any pauses or skipping. And also to keep checking the discs every few months to see if they have gotten any worse.

If you would like to check the quality of your discs then you will need a new burner that is capable of doing the tests. BenQ drives are very good for disc quality tests.

Also when saving the image of the test from cdspeed you should click the floppy disk icon in the top-right of the window and save it as a PNG not a jpeg. PNG looks better and has a smaller file size. :slight_smile:

These discs aren’t great, but they’re not horrendous either. I use them for unimportant things like movies pretty much. I use them on my DW1620 and they usually produce low 90’s on the quality score which isn’t good, but it isn’t horrible either; for the price I paid for them, they were worth it. Last night though I was greeted with a nice score of a 97 on one of these discs, too bad the rest of the spindle wasn’t this good.

Actually, I do not burn movies on these DVD+R, I burnt data. So does this mean I should just buy a new 50 pack of DVD writables (would probably be TDK DVD-R 8x printables, TTG02 on sale at Costco Canada) and back all of the BenQ ones I have burnt? You’re scaring me, because I really don’t want to start having a bunch of 4.4GB data backups dying on me…

Thanks for the info though, I’m going to keep away from BenQ in the future… At all costs :slight_smile:

Reburning everything might be a little extreme, the fact that the test was able to complete was a pretty good sign that your data is still pretty readable. If the test stopped abruptly in the middle, then you’d know you had problems! It’s just a sign that you might not want to use this media for your most important of burns, and you might want to keep an eye on them, I guess.