BENQ 822A -- Access times?

vbimport

I just got this drive, and updated the firmware to B3IC (the latest I could find). I’ve noticed that access times are quite long for this drive, requiring several seconds to as much as a half minute of spinup and initial read when a new CD or DVD is popped into the drive. It’s especially noticeable with DVDs that are fully loaded (4.5GiB) with small files (ranging in size between 200K and 20megs), where it takes that half minute on insertion, and another 7 seconds each time a directory change occurs.

On my older DVD-ROM drive (Pioneer 115S) access times on these discs was nearly instantaneous, with the disc ready to go less than 2 seconds after inserting the disc, and no delay when switching directories on the disc. I would have thought that the 8meg buffer would make this drive do much better than this, but this hasn’t been the case so far.

DMA is enabled, Mode 2.
I’m using the included UDMA cable.
OS is winXP.
Drive Firmware is B3IC.

Is this normal for this drive?

>requiring several seconds to as much as a half minute of spinup and initial read

Here it takes around 9 sec. and from what I read in tests, this is normal or even fast. Directorychange is rather instant if not a lot of files carry their own icon.
Maybe you have set something to lower the read-speed, such as andvd.
As I’ve heard decr
pting a dvd on the fly also takes time.

>It’s especially noticeable with DVDs that are fully loaded (4.5GB) with small files

It’s more important what kind of files these files are:
Someone very intelligent decided, that the icon of a file should be stored at the end of the file. So all files have to be read through to the end if they carry an own icon (like exe-files)

>On my older DVD-ROM drive (Pioneer 115S) access times on these discs was nearly instantaneous

I dont believe that, I think 9 sec is quite normal especially for a burner.

In my case, none of the files on the disc carry their own icon, nor is there likely to be a delay due to thumbnail caching. The files are 200K text files, and CBR/CBZ files, which are rar and zip files containing graphics files. No .exe files were placed on these discs.

I am not familiar with the term *DVD. The only DVD related software I have on my system are DVD Identifier, PowerDVD XP, and Nero 6. As for decrypting on the fly, none of the information on the DVDs is encrypted. The 3 discs I speak of are data discs burned on DVD-R – one of them was done on this very drive.

<SNIP>

While I don’t particularly enjoy being called a liar, I did repeat my test after seeing your post.

To be most fair, I used the disc burned on the BenQ, as I figured it should be able to read it best. Timing was done using a Timex Ironman wristwatch in stopwatch mode. I measured the time from disc insertion to the generic autoplay dialog appearing. With the Pioneer 115S DVD-ROM drive, this took approximately 3 seconds. With the BenQ, it took approximately 12 seconds. While inline with what you suggest, and much faster than I got last night, it still seems surprisingly slow. The “approximately” qualifier is to account for my own reaction times, which may be +/- 1 second.

I am wondering if perhaps the delay is due to the drive caching, as the DVD-ROM drive only as a 512K read buffer, and the BenQ has an 8Meg buffer.

Directory changes seem to be much faster than they were last night, being near instanteous (certainly less than 1 sec) so I guess it was something that was helped by a reboot or perhaps better compatibility with this particular disc.

===================
Thanks,
MCheu

>While I don’t particularly enjoy being called a liar
Sorry, this was not what I wanted to say. It simply takes a certain time to spin up and find and read the toc.

>CBR/CBZ files, which are rar and zip files containing graphics files.
I don’t know these filetypes.
Maybe your virusscan-prog is scanning all these archives on the fly.

>I am not familiar with the term *DVD
Ok ok. I was speaking about anydvd which is for removing decss on the fly, but I didnt want to write it because this forum is not about those programs.

>delay is due to the drive caching, as the DVD-ROM drive only as a 512K read buffer, and the BenQ has an 8Meg buffer.
Well, I hardly doubt that this is the case. Really.

>much faster than they were last night, being near instanteous (certainly less than 1 sec) so I guess it was something that was helped by a reboot
Try the same disc again that made trouble. Try the burner in another computer.

use nero-infotool to see whether dma is activated, whether aspi drivers are ok (should be 4.6 or 4.7).
Use NeroCDSpeed3 qualityscan to find out whether everything is ok with the discs.

After that return the drive if it was not successful…