BENQ 2108VR Problem

Hello all, newbie to this forum.

Just bought a second-hand Benq DVD-R/DVD-RW 2108VR writer (which is a rebadged Pioneer 104 drive) and am having a wierd problem with it (http://www.benq-eu.com/Products/DVDRewriter/index.cfm?product=173&page=features). The drive is able to read DVD’s and (I presume but haven’t yet tried) write to them but will not read or write standard CD-ROMs?!? It just sort of clicks away reapetatively for about a minute before deciding there is nothing there. It has the latest firmware at version 1.40 and plays back DVD movies like a dream so I can’t figure out why it won’t recognise CD’s. Can anyone shed any light on this? One thing that is perhaps a clue is that when I first installed it I had it on IDE channel 3 (which is raid) and playback for DVD’s was awful. I changed round the IDE config and put it onto two (at the sacrifice of sharing an IDE chanel for two hard drives) and playback was perfect. Also, when I had it on IDE 3 an error message came up in My Computer when I clicked on the drive with a CD-ROM on it saying ‘Please Insert a Disk…’ but now that it’s on channel 2 it opens up without an error message but with no data showing! I’ve just got a horrible feeling that the drive is damaged.

Dan.

Forgot to mention my PC specs:

P3 1Ghz
ABIT ST6-RAID M/Board
ATI (Sapphire) 9000Pro
WinXP Pro
M-Audio Delta66 and SBLive! Value soundcards
2 x Maxtor 40gig HD _ On hard drive caddies, only 2
2 x IBM 40gig HD… / ever connected at once.

It sounds like a hardware problem on the drive - probably something that’s CD specific (some of the optical side of things is used only for CD, some only for DVD, so it is possible to have a drive that works just on DVD).

Hopefully you’ve got a fully working drive that’s DVD only. If, however, it doesn’t write DVDs then it’s arguably a bookend.

Modern 8x DVD writers are getting quite cheap now - if you paid for this drive, I hope you didn’t pay too much.

David

Originally posted by DavidW
[B]It sounds like a hardware problem on the drive - probably something that’s CD specific (some of the optical side of things is used only for CD, some only for DVD, so it is possible to have a drive that works just on DVD).

Hopefully you’ve got a fully working drive that’s DVD only. If, however, it doesn’t write DVDs then it’s arguably a bookend.

Modern 8x DVD writers are getting quite cheap now - if you paid for this drive, I hope you didn’t pay too much.

David [/B]

Cheers mate, I’m just testing it out now as a burner and it seems to be okay. Must be a hardware problem as you say, I’ll contact the seller and ask him!

Dan

Yep, works fine at burning DVD’s but just refuses to see CD-ROM’s. Must be a damaged optic. Thanks again for the reply.

Dan