BenQ 1655 shows in BIOS, but isn't listed in Vista Device Manager

I just installed my old BenQ DW1655 in my newer Vista PC. (I don’t know if it matters or not, but I had to use an IDE to SATA adapter to connect it to the motherboard)

The BenQ shows up in the BIOS, and it even opens and closes when I hit the button, but it’s not listed under “my computer” or in the device manager. Do I need to install a driver or something for this? (I can’t remember if I had to do that on XP when I originally bought the drive several years ago.)

I really liked this drive when I had it in my older computer, so I’m wanting to use it with my newer Vista computer. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
:iagree:

In Device Manager, have you tried scanning for hardware changes?

I did try to scan for hardware changes, but I guess it didn’t find it. (It came up with a box saying “Scanning for plug and play compliant hardware” and then that box just went away.)

Shortly after I did the hardware scan, I did get a popup box from the task bar that said “Storage Device Connected. A Storage device was connected. If this device is a port multiplier, only port 0 of the port multiplier will be active”. I’m not sure what that is about, or if it’s even related to this.

Hi,

it’s not impossible that this IDE/Sata adapter isn’t compatible with your burner or motherboard.
Could be as well, that your Sata controller is configured to a Raid (or some other non-IDE) mode.

If you want to use that drive, I’d suggest to install a PCI IDE controller card, my favourite would be some with Silicon Image 0680 chipset, which is flashable to non-Raid controller Bios.

Or try a USB/IDE adapter or an external enclosure. Operating speed of the drive will be limited to 12x then.

Michael

So I am just pretty much of out luck with the setup I have? I kind of thought if the drive was showing up in the bios that it meant everything was compatible. (Although I did have trouble when installing this ide to sata adapter… pc wouldn’t even power up with the adapter attached when the jumper on the dvd+rw drive was set to Master, I ended up putting it on CableSelect.)
Is there anything else I could try to get Vista to recognize this without trying a different adapter or PCI IDE controller?

Newegg has a PCI IDE controller card for $15, but weighing that against a new $35 dvd+rw drive, I don’t know. Maybe I’d be better to just get a new drive…

I’m assuming there’s no way to check or change the configuration of the Sata Controller, right?

Hi,[QUOTE=gilmoregirlz;2445595]So I am just pretty much of out luck with the setup I have?[/quote]Seems so. Or you have bought the wrong computer :smiley:

(Although I did have trouble when installing this ide to sata adapter… pc wouldn’t even power up with the adapter attached when the jumper on the dvd+rw drive was set to Master, I ended up putting it on CableSelect.)
This is the first indicator for tha adapter making trouble. Perhaps it does work with a HDD, perhaps not.

Newegg has a PCI IDE controller card for $15, but weighing that against a new $35 dvd+rw drive, I don’t know. Maybe I’d be better to just get a new drive…
There is no modern drive that has the feature set of the Nexperia Benq drives. You may pair it with something modern, but I wouldn’t retire that unit.
As for the controller, have a look at this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/silicon-image-based-sata-ide-controllers-flashable-not-252721/
PCI IDE controller with Raid configuration or with different chipsets may cause trouble also.

I’m assuming there’s no way to check or change the configuration of the Sata Controller, right?
The configuration is done in Bios setup. So have a look there having the manual at hand.

Michael

I looked in my BIOS and there’s options for RAID, IDE, and AHCI, with RAID being the one it’s currently set to. Would changing this allow Vista to recognize the drive, while still working with my newer components (Sata HDD, Sata DVDROM, etc)?

I did a bit of research and saw alot of stuff about having to reinstall Windows if the BIOS controller configuration is changed. Would this even be worth messing with?