Benq 1655 not reading blank DVD's?

vbimport

hey, so I recently installed this burner (benq1655) it was working awesome up until recently. I tried to back up a movie and I kept getting an error that there was not enough space on the target drive. I had just put in a brand new balnk DVD the same kind that I had been using all along so I knew it was the disk, I even tried several other blank DVD’s, Nothing. I opened up propertied to and noticed that the D:/ is reading the disck as CD. and it’s reading the disk as 0 bytes available and 0bytes used.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this.please and thank you.
Dan :doh:

How do you burn the files?
By the way: Windows’ integrated burn function is only capable of burning CDs, not DVD.

If you are using a decent burning app like Nero or Sonic, try another brand of DVD media.

These particular files are coming from my C:/ I’m using Nero, in combination with shrink 3.2. See the thing of it is I have used it before to burn DVD’s.
I’m not sure what that means that “Windows’ integrated burn function is only capable of burning CDs, not DVD” Oh and if this helps I am running Windows xp home

These particular files are coming from my C:/ I’m using Nero, in combination with shrink 3.2. See the thing of it is I have used it before to burn DVD’s.
I’m not sure what that means that “Windows’ integrated burn function is only capable of burning CDs, not DVD” Oh and if this helps I am running Windows xp home

“I had just put in a brand new balnk DVD the same kind that I had been using all along so I knew it was the disk, I even tried several other blank DVD’s, Nothing. I opened up propertied to and noticed that the D:/ is reading the disck as CD. and it’s reading the disk as 0 bytes available and 0bytes used.”

Oh, then I misunderstood you. If you want to obtain information on CD or DVD media, you should not trust Windows’ properties, you should use Nero’s Disc Info.

Sorry buddy my bad.
Same thing when I use Nero. I guess the only thing I can see that is defrent is My brotha in law came over to clear up space my c: Do you think afile or somethign could be deleted from there to cause this to happen. I know I’m grasping a straws here. ??

No, your PC can’t read a blank DVD as there is nothing there for it to read. kg isn’t talking about Nero the burning programme but Nero CD-DVD speed which is a scanning prog. Start–>all progs–>Nero–>Nero Too;kit–>Nero CD-DVD speed.

(Edit: Yuo’ll notice a part of the post is blue, click on it and it will take you to an explaination of what it is in the article database. It’s an automatic function of the board so if you see it in other posts and want more info you now know what to do)

In Nero CD-DVD Speed, click the Disc Info tab and tell us the MID of your media. The MID is the fourth line in Basic Information.

Do you have the latest Nero Burning ROM (version 6.6.1.4)? How many MB or GB is the data you’re trying to burn?
In the Compilation, did you choose DVD instead of CD?

JayC30
Right, of course, but shouldn’t I be able to tell how much space is available on a blank disk? I can do it with CDR’s I fugured I should be able to do it with the DVd Media as well? I will give the link a try.
Thanks greatly appreciated

zevia

I honestly don’t know I if I have the latest Nero Burning Rom I will have to check the version of it on my lunch. The size I am trying to copy is about under 7.4 Gb that’s after shrinking it with dvd shrink3.2.
You know what I’m not sure if i have changed the compilation. I don’t believe I have but I’m not sure. how do I check to see if I have?

Thanks man

You are trying to copy this onto a DL discs aren’t you?

Have you tried Nero CD-DVD speed yet? Give us the MID of the disc as zevia has said.

Ok, spiderdan.

Download Nero CD-DVD Speed from here: http://cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_450.zip
Put your blank disc inside the burner and run Nero CD-DVD Speed. Click the “Disc Info” tab. Read the MID and let us know. (see my post and Jay30 above too).

In Nero Burning ROM, click Help>About Nero Burning ROM. You will see the version number. If you have Nero 6, update your nero from here: http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/enu/nero-up.php

Are you trying to burn an ISO produced by Shrink?

I guess it’s a typo? If not, are you trying to burn on a DL disc? :wink:
Please read the “guidelines for posting when asking for help” (particularly point #4), link in my sig, as there is definitly not enough information to make heads or tails of your issue! :disagree:

That’s why I asked about DL discs Franck because if he’s not trying to use DL we have the answer it’s too big to fit on a DVD-/+R :slight_smile:

Sorry JAYC30 what are DL Discs?

zevia
Give me about an hour to get home to get the MID of the disk.

I will also get the rest of the info while I am there. I’m just at work right now.
Thanks guys for your help

DL = Dual/Double Layer discs. By the way no need to be sorry, my fault, I am guilty of something quite a few of us are at one time or another, not realising that not every one knows what all the accronyms mean.

Unless as franck has said your file size is a typo and you meant 4.7 Gb and not 7.4Gb, in which case you need to shrink it even further as a standard DVD only holds 4.483Gb of data and not 4.7Gb. It is a numbers thing and a bit too complicated to go into.

Ahh Frig I should have been able to figure that out.
Thanks. I’m looking at the package for the DVD’s it doesn’t state if it’s DL or not. It does state the it’s single sided but I don’t think that’s what your talking about Its’ a DVD +R if that helps.

Your right it’s a Typo it 4.7 GB’s.

See the whole thing that get’s me is that is was working fine now it’s not.
I’m Down loading Nero Speed now And I will get the rest of the info now as well.

K/ the MID is MID : MBIPG101 R04 (001)

Well as I said it needs to be shrunk even further. A standard DVD-/+R holds 4.438Gb of data, which is what you have, even though the actual packaging says 4.7Gb. DL discs are clearly marked as such. Therefore your file is too large to fit on the disc at 4.7Gb.

Spot on - to the point. :clap:

DVD±R/RW > 4.38GB space.

So just for kicks I shrank it down to 2GB and I get the same thing "target file is to small"
Hey man was that the info you needed for the MID?