BenQ 1655 loud rattle problem

[qanda]This thread is about the BenQ DW1655. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all,
I have a BenQ1655 that has performed well up until a day or two ago when it suddenly developed a problem: Putting a disc in and closing the tray resulted in a loud rattling noise. Thinking it might be a simple mechanical issue that hopefully had not munged up any other bits, I thought I would have a look inside.

Upon taking off the bottom cover and removing the upper shroud I found a felt washer / bushing floating free. Upon further examination, it looks like this washer was attached to the upper bearing that clamps down on the upper surface of the disc as the lower drive mechanism presses the disc up.

My thinking now is to glue the washer to the upper bearing – hopefully restoring the functionality of my trusty 1655.

My question / request: Because I have no experience with the inner workings of disc drives I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable might be able to comment on my thoughts regarding the problem and the proposed fix – or anything else that might relate. In particular, is my thinking about the washer correct?

Thanks to all that participate in this community – it is indeed a welcome and valuable resource.

Spispopd

Take some pictures so we can see exactly what you are talking about. Then we can help you.