Benq 1655 external

vbimport

hi just wanted to see if anyone can help me out i bought me a benq 1655 external about 1 year ago but now i cant remember if the benq 1655 can burn double layer dvds does anyone know if the benq 1655 can burn double layer dvds

yep it should. Use Verbatim brand +R DL blanks for best results.

thanks Bob are the Verbatim brand +R DL good for makeing backups of xbox 360 games

dunno i’ve never tried to backup xbox 360 games as i don’t have an xbox 360 sorry. I’m sure they will work but it might be more of finding a way to back them up than burning.

ok thanks again

[I]Somewhat off topic[/I].[QUOTE=mike160;2078353]hi just wanted to see if anyone can help me out i bought me a benq [B]1655 externa[/B]l… [/QUOTE]Never knew there ever existed an “external” DW165* version… :confused:
What firmware did it come with.
Thanks.

[quote=pinto2;2079687][I]Somewhat off topic[/I].Never knew there ever existed an “external” DW165* version… :confused:
Thanks.[/quote]
The only ones that I ever saw were made by I/O Magic about 2 years ago. It was a BenQ DW1655 in an off brand encloser.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2079687][I]Somewhat off topic[/I].Never knew there ever existed an “external” DW165* version… :confused:
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have a 1655 in an external enclosure that I bought off ebay new. It was packaged by a small vendor. I have never seen them sold by major brands in an external drive configurations.

Thanks[I] alan1476[/I]. :flower:

I 'm more interested in unofficial firmwares if/when there might exist for DW165* external drives.
We all know BenQ/Philips 165* and their equivalents only run at UDMA2.

BTW, did anyone in US get the hands on DVD8881 (Nexperia sata drive)?

BTW2, my compus are only running on Linux (SuSE) nowdays, so please keep in mind flashers you recommend. But there is Samba after all… :smiley:

[I]Edit[/I]. UTR, please post firmware details.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2079717][I]Edit[/I]. UTR, please post firmware details.[/QUOTE]

I have upgraded the firmware since I got it. I can’t remember what it was or even what it is now. I think it is the most current firmware.

[QUOTE=UTR;2079773]I have upgraded the firmware since I got it. I can’t remember what it was or even what it is now. I think it is the most current firmware.[/QUOTE]You will need to take the drive out of the enclosure please :flower:

Would be nice to know what brand chip is in the enclosure also.

[QUOTE=Bob;2079779]You will need to take the drive out of the enclosure please :flower:

Would be nice to know what brand chip is in the enclosure also.[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t say NEC on the chip. It doesn’t look to have any name brand at all. It has a couple of numbers that start the the letters “CY” if that means anything. I bought it for the 1655 and it was before I knew the NEC chip was the best choice for enclosures. I got it relatively cheap (around $50-$55).

I misunderstood you. I thought you meant it came in an external enclosure.

I did buy them together. The 1655 was pre-installed in the enclosure. I meant I bought the combo because it came with a 1655.

ahhh ok i understand now and the f/w was just basic 1655 f/w.

The only major-brand external DW1655 that was ever sold was by I/O Magic.

Any other external DW1655 you find is something that a system builder put together themselves, and not something that was licensed by Philips or BenQ.

And “CY” on the chip means that it’s a Cypress chipset, the absolute worst chipset for DVD burners. For proper performance, you must use a DVD burner via Firewire, or if USB, then one with an NEC chipset.

Hi,[quote=negritude;2079914]And “CY” on the chip means that it’s a Cypress chipset, the absolute worst chipset for DVD burners. [/quote]Could you please elaborate?

I do own USB/IDE converters with 4 different chipsets:

• Jmicron
  • Genesys Logic (GL811E)
  • Cypress (AT2)
  • Myson Century

With the AT2 enclosure, I can burn @16x with my Liteon 165P6S and with my Samsung SH-S182D@Philips SPD2412T. It is also safe for 12x with my Philips DVDR-1660P and SH-S182D with stock firmware. It does not like my Pioneer 112D at all, but this might be due to the pickiness of Pioneer IDE interfaces.

It might also be worth mentioning that Liteon (and Philips) retail external USB drives are equipped with Cypress USB/IDE chips. I don’t think, they used the worst chipset available :cool:

Michael

[QUOTE=negritude;2079914]The only major-brand external DW1655 that was ever sold was by I/O Magic.

Any other external DW1655 you find is something that a system builder put together themselves, and not something that was licensed by Philips or BenQ.

And “CY” on the chip means that it’s a Cypress chipset, the absolute worst chipset for DVD burners. For proper performance, you must use a DVD burner via Firewire, or if USB, then one with an NEC chipset.[/QUOTE]

I don’t use this burner much. Only for tasks that the NEC 6550A can’t handle that is in my laptop or if I need two DVD drives for some reason. The best feature of this enclosure is it have a built-in power supply so all I need to power it is a standard computer/printer etc. power cable. It may not be the best but it serves its purpose.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2079943]With the AT2 enclosure, I can burn @16x with my Liteon 165P6S and with my Samsung SH-S182D@Philips SPD2412T. It is also safe for 12x with my Philips DVDR-1660P and SH-S182D with stock firmware.[/QUOTE]

It must be an AT2+ then, because the standard AT2 chipset doesn’t have the speed to hit 16x. I’ve read about people having nothing but problems with Cypress, not compatibility wise, but speed wise.

Hi,[quote=negritude;2080509]It must be an AT2+ then, [/quote]No, definitely not.

I’ve read about people having nothing but problems with Cypress, not compatibility wise, but speed wise.
Some manufacturers of bridge boards forgot to enable DMA support. So it is not the chipset which is to blame.

See here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f143/external-enclosures-genesys-logic-vs-cypress-190288/

Michael