BenQ 1655 (BCGB) problems with Verbs

Hello,
I have the BenQ 1655 FW v.BCGB burner and am having some issues with the Verbatim +R 16x media. Please see my different, but related thread, for background information* (footnote).
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=202204#post1628690

Anyway, I am preparing to buy some Taiyo Yuden 8x YUDEN00T02 and see if, (along with a possible firmware upgrade (see other thread link) I can get better results.

But you guys are scaring the heck out of me with all the postings about fakes, dirt, recent bad batches, inner stamp vs media code and bad websites to order from!!! Geez! Many Websites don’t even list the media code.

Following are links to the TY disk pages at a few sites I have done business with. So my question is, are they all safe or should I be wary, or do you prefer other vendors or even advise against the 8x YUDEN00T02 in favor of other TY’s or Verbs or for any other reasons. Any and all contributions are welcome since I am outside of my experience on these cdf media threads.

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1773-100&Category_Code=DVPTY

http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-plus-r-silver-inkjet-printable.html
I’ve also done some business with the shop4tech people but they only list the shiny laquer silver TY’s**(footnote2).

So who would you get the TY’s from? I don’t care about a few bucks difference. I need reliability to standardize on. Or does anyone think I should stick with Verbs as related to a firmware upgrade question posted on the above link to my thread in the BenQ section of cdf.

One other factor. My DVD players are exclusively JVC:
XV-SA600BK Players (several)
XV-FA900BK 7-Disk Changer
Both player types never claimed to be able to play +R media but booktyping/bitsetting resolves this correct? Completely? Anyway bitset +R’s do play on them with the results posted on the above link to my other thread in the BenQ area of cdf.

Thank you all,
Whisperer

• I sincerely hope that the two related threads, in which I have posted back & forth reference links to, are different enough in subject matter so as not to qualify as cross posting. I needed advise from two sets of experts. A Media purchase advice request VS a BenQ firmware/media compatibility advise request: OK moderators? … I hope? Thanks

**Rather than buy the “Silver Laquer” finish TY’s, I am guessing that the “Silver Inkjet Printable” TY’s have a better surface for visibility/readablility for writing on with a black Staedtler marker and being visible in low light shelving storage. Better, I hope, than the Silver Laquer surfaced TY’s. Under the lighting on my shelves, I’ve been forced to write in white marker “paint” pens to make the titles visible with other siver-laquer disk surfaces I used. In other words, with the mirror silver finish, I can’t read the black ink when just casualy flipping through the shelved DVD jewel cases… I have to pull the case off the shelf and tip it in the light for the black ink to be readable. White ink would be more visable under low light but nobody makes a white “ink-type” marker and hate the “brush-flow” and thickness of the white paint marker solution.

If I were in the US, I’d try Rima first for TY, since they’re pretty highly regrded on here (kinda like SVP in the UK). :slight_smile:

That’s why the saying goes: Ignorance is bliss!

Or to phrase it differently: The more you know, the more you have to worry about. :wink:

You will always run the risk of getting bad media regardless of what you buy and where you buy from, but you can minimize that risk by buying widely compatible media of the right brands from shops that are known for good products and good customer service.

Buying Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media from e.g. Rima.com in the U.S. would be one of the safer bets in getting what you need.

There are other options available of course, but it can be trickier explaining exactly what you need to look for if you buy something else.