Benq 1640 TURTLE - 0.7X Burns

O.k. Just got a Benq DVD DW1640 drive and I need serious HELP! With 16x Media, I am only averaging 0.7X burn speeds.

Yes… not even 1X. My prior TDK 440N consistantly outperformed what I am getting… So something is seriously wrong.

I have flashed the drive up to BSMB.

My System.

WindowsXP Service Pack 2
Abit KD7-E Motherboard
AMD Athalon 2200+
1 MB DDR333 RAM
Hard Drives are WD 120 GB 7200 8MB Cache
Seagate 160 GB 7200 8 MB Cache
Other Burner is a Lite-ON CD, I have even REMOVED it from my system, and have the BenQ as the Master drive on the 2nd IDE channel, all by its lonesome.

I have tried two different type of media. The Verbatim DVD+R 16X and the Memorex DVD+R 16X. Both consistantly in the 0.5X to 0.7X range. QSuite liked the Verbatim at 16X, and the Memorex only at 8x.

I checked Ultra DMA, Hard drives are at Ultra 4, and looks like the BenQ is coming in at Ultra 2.

I have tried with WOPC off, doesn’t seem to help.

I have been using Creative Media Creator 7.

Something is definitely off. Is this a software issue? Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Thanks

Post the result of the Nero CD-DVD Speed burst transfer test, you need a disk with some data in the drive to run the test. It should display about 23 MB/sec.
In case it is lower, DMA is off. If you do not use the stock Mircrosoft IDE driver, remove it. If this does not help, post the text output of Nero Infotool as text file attachment using the Manage Attatchments button so we can have a look at your config.

Burst test ran 23MB/s. The CreateDisk portion went fairly well too, climbed upto just under 16X, and averaged just under 12x.

I am in a middle of a fresh rebuild, so that is why you will see the IBM Drive.

I have been trying to burn off some of my original C Drive to DVDs before imaging over the new install, so the slow drive has been driving me nuts.

Did notice something with the ASPI section complaining about missing files, which may be my issue.

Speed Average 11.90, Start was 6.58 and end 15.91
Seek times Random: 106ms, 1/3 124ms, Full 171ms/

CPU Usage 8,16,27,53% respectively for 1x,2x,4X,8X

If create data disk works fine, the problem is the data source. Were you burning small files or was a virus scanner checking the source files while burning ? Was enough RAM free for burning ? Was DMA activated on the source drive ? Is it fragmented ? Have you check the source datarate ?

Its normal for nero to show no aspi for the system. nero uses its own aspi layer.

eric93se, from what I can see there is no Nero burning application installed… :confused:

I agree with ala42, BenQ drive has nothing to do with this problem.

MauiDave, first move (copy) the files you like to back-up to a new healthy NTFS formated HDD. Most probably your old IBM HDD is damaged in some way, using other filesystem or you are trying to copy “system” files.

Using the test in my signature will reveal bottlenecks in subsystem. :slight_smile: