BenQ 1640 - Repeated and random opening and closing of tray

vbimport

The tray of my dw1640 randomly opens and closes multiple times partially to fully whether a disc is inserted or not. I can’t read any discs when it’s doing this because it won’t stay closed long enough. It starts up anywhere from a few minutes to more than 8 hours after booting. It only responds to a push of the button randomly as well. I did have to mechanically open it recently with a paper clip which became stuck, but the repeated tray opening didn’t start up immediately after that. Any one have ideas what the problem could be.

I’ve just gone back to a week old restore point for the second time and just like the first time it hung without rebooting, so I shut down with the on/off button. This time I opened and closed the drive while it was powered down a couple of times using a paper clip in the eject hole. I’ve rebooted and the 1640’s working properly - for now. But I’d still like to hear some ideas about what happened in case it starts acting up again.

Maybe it’s just old and some of the logic chips that tell it when to open and close have gotten messed up.
My second 1620 from way back when started doing that in our second machine and I finally had to retire it as something was just plain broken after all these years.
You might want to try it in another machine or just hooked up to power by itself somehow and see if it continues doing it.
A lot of things could cause it but if you try those things and it continues the same it’s probably the drive:sad:
I still use my BenQ 1655 mostly for testing and I have 2 of them, 2 1640’s, and one 1620 left and I hope they continue to work. One of the 1655 has the sticky tray issue probably becuase the belt is old but it works once the tray’s closed so it’s retired for now.

[QUOTE=cobo;2537418]The tray of my dw1640 randomly opens and closes multiple times partially to fully whether a disc is inserted or not. I can’t read any discs when it’s doing this because it won’t stay closed long enough. It starts up anywhere from a few minutes to more than 8 hours after booting. It only responds to a push of the button randomly as well. I did have to mechanically open it recently with a paper clip which became stuck, but the repeated tray opening didn’t start up immediately after that. Any one have ideas what the problem could be.

I’ve just gone back to a week old restore point for the second time and just like the first time it hung without rebooting, so I shut down with the on/off button. This time I opened and closed the drive while it was powered down a couple of times using a paper clip in the eject hole. I’ve rebooted and the 1640’s working properly - for now. But I’d still like to hear some ideas about what happened in case it starts acting up again.[/QUOTE]

Time to retire it. It is REALLY old. Was a good drive tho.

I haven’t had it as long as any of my other drives. I bought it new in Jan. '07 and don’t burn with it a lot or use it as my primary reader. I’m not giving up on it that easy - it burns too nicely for that.

It started acting up again about 5 hours after I posted, but it lasted only around 5 minutes and went back to normal for a couple of hours before I shut down. I’m wondering if it can be reacting to some new nearby wireless signal.

I also suspect the behavior could be caused by the trial version of PowerDVD8 I installed some months ago, but only just recently has begun popping up again when I insert a video DVD. I’ve just disabled all it’s exe files to see if that will fix it. I don’t want to uninstall it because I’m using it’s Cyberlink decoder for HDTV display.

Since I disabled PowerDVD8 yesterday I haven’t had any problem with the drive. So that seems to have solved it - if it turns out it hasn’t, I’ll report back.

Seems odd that it didn’t also affect the other optical drive in the PC, a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B.