BenQ 1640 eeprom

Hello

I accidentally wrote the wrong eeprom to my Benq 1640 using that thing called LtnFlash tools :sad::sad::sad:

I wrote a BenQ DW1800 eeprom on my 1640, although C0deking warned me of this damn tool, I didn’t heed the warning, and now my precious 1640 is dead meat, it’s listed in windows, but it doesn’t respond to tray button of a software induced eject.

And I don’t have any backup of this eeprom.

Can someone please backup their eeprom of their 1640 and send it to me?

I know it might not work but it’s the last thing I can think of.

Thanks.

The 1640 is not a LiteOn made drive so you can’t back up the EEPROM. I would wait, some one might have a better suggestion than mine. What I would try is to reflash with a offical BenQ 1640 firmware. Flashing in safe mode might be better.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2129695]The 1640 is not a LiteOn made drive so you can’t back up the EEPROM. I would wait, some one might have a better suggestion than mine. What I would try is to reflash with a offical BenQ 1640 firmware. Flashing in safe mode might be better.[/QUOTE]

Thanks jamescooley1 for the suggestion.

But it didn’t work.

I tried different firmwares and two pcs with no luck.

Any more ideas are highly appreciated.

BTW, The drive “was” a Sony 810A crossflashed to 1640.

There is a full update mode in Ltnflash under sflash, I don’t actually know what exactly does it backup, but “full update” indicates that it backs everything up.

I think it reads BenQ drives good, if someone “with enough knowledge and experience - so as not to end up with a dead drive like me -” be so kind as to make this backup and send it me.

It’s an idea anyway.

If using windows try Quikee’s [B][U]BQFlasher[/U][/B] or [B][U]WinDWFlash[/U][/B] (if using this you need a .cvt file like this one [B][U]1640BSGB[/U][/B]):

As a last resort you could try flashing in dos.
You’ll need BenQ/Philips CVT* version 1 flasher along with the above .cvt file.

*Get from TBD. http://tdb.rpc1.org/

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2129740]If using windows try Quikee’s [B][U]BQFlasher[/U][/B] or [B][U]WinDWFlash[/U][/B] (if using this you need a .cvt file like this one [B][U]1640BSGB[/U][/B]):

As a last resort you could try flashing in dos.
You’ll need BenQ/Philips CVT* version 1 flasher along with the above .cvt file.

*Get from TBD. http://tdb.rpc1.org/[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot soulsurvivor for the info.

I tried all your ideas with no luck.

The point is that flashing firmware is useless, the thing that really should be flashed is the eeprom.

I know how to extract it "using LtnFlash"

But I won’t know how to flash now since the drive doesn’t accept anymore eeproms.

This eeprom is that of a BenQ 1655 with a size of 0x800 the same as the dead 1640 and backed up using Ltnflash , thought I’d try my luck.

notice the gibberish next to the drive name, this used to be the serial number.

R.I.P.:flower:

There is this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/ltnflash-usage-guide-warning-thread-84566/

Update/Write EEPROM:
-Select the correct drive from the dropdown list.
-Verify that correct drive is selected.
-Make absolutely sure that correct drive is selected in the dropdown menu.
-Click the Load File button and find the CORRECT EEPROM file you want to use.
-Click the Write button
-Wait a bit and you are finished.

I always found it kinda funny with the select the correct drive, and verify and make absolutely sure.

Who’s crying now?
:sad:

Can anyone please backup their 1640 eeprom using LtnFlash and post the file?

It’s one last hope before throwing the thing in the darkness of the abyss. :smiley:

[quote=RoamingHawK;2129955]Can anyone please backup their 1640 eeprom using LtnFlash and post the file?

It’s one last hope before throwing the thing in the darkness of the abyss. :D[/quote]
LtnFlash will not back up a 1640 EEPROM:disagree:

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2129964]LtnFlash will not back up a 1640 EEPROM:disagree:[/QUOTE]

Quite right…It’s LiteOn Flash. It will work with some non-LiteOn drives, but they still must be based on a MediaTek chipset to have any hope. Your 1640 and 1655 are based on the Nexperia, as were most/all BenQ drives before the DQ60. You have no hope of properly using LtnFlash with the Nexperia. If you backed up any data from the 1655, it was probably not the normal EEPROM.

[QUOTE=Albert;2129970]Quite right…It’s LiteOn Flash. It will work with some non-LiteOn drives, but they still must be based on a MediaTek chipset to have any hope. Your 1640 and 1655 are based on the Nexperia, as were most/all BenQ drives before the DQ60. You have no hope of properly using LtnFlash with the Nexperia. If you backed up any data from the 1655, it was probably not the normal EEPROM.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot Albert for the Info.

Ltnflash did actually write the wrong eeprom “the BenQ 1800” on the BenQ 1640 which ruined the drive.

I know that Ltnflash is supposed to work only with LiteOn drives and LiteOn based drives “the 1800 & 2000”, but then I thought I might try one last idea of flashing an “incomplete or not normal” eeprom from another working 1640 - since there is no eeprom backup and restore software for the Nexperia as far as I know -, the idea is that you can’t make a dead drive more dead or make it explode, right?

I know it probably won’t work, but I want to know I made everything I could reviving a drive I paid so much money and time to obtain.

Thanks.

where did you get version 2.6.9?

nevermind i found it :slight_smile:

note to self…do not write eeprom to 1640…a drive I paid so much money and time to obtain. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=troy512;2130002]where did you get version 2.6.9?

note to self…do not write eeprom to 1640…a drive I paid so much money and time to obtain. :slight_smile: :)[/QUOTE]

Glad someone got something out of my misery, even a note to self. :flower:

[QUOTE=troy512;2130002]where did you get version 2.6.9?

note to self…do not write eeprom to 1640…a drive I paid so much money and time to obtain. :slight_smile: :)[/QUOTE]

You can make a backup and help me bury my drive though If you like. :bigsmile:

i havent actully got mine yet. i am about 6 hours away from having one though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120305479527

[QUOTE=troy512;2130011]i havent actully got mine yet. i am about 6 hours away from having one though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120305479527[/QUOTE]

That’s NEW !!! :eek:

I’m curious at how much this auction will end.

Good luck with the auction man, if I had an ebay account you would have the lost the auction. :wink:

sorry i didnt get the 1640 someone outbid me in the last minute by $1.

i got a 1620 instead, sorry i cant help you now. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=RoamingHawK;2129683]I accidentally wrote the wrong eeprom to my Benq 1640 using that thing called LtnFlash tools :sad::sad::sad:[/QUOTE]

This is why the forums should be organized based upon the actual OEM and chipset, and not the brand. The MediaTek BenQs have absolutely nothing to do with the Nexperia BenQs, and should not even be under the same forum. All discussion of MediaTek BenQs should be in the Lite-On forum, because that is what they are. Very illogical forum organization, which leads newbies to doing things like this. :rolleyes:

[Off-topic]

[quote=negritude;2130345]This is why the forums should be organized based upon the actual OEM and chipset, and not the brand. The MediaTek BenQs have absolutely nothing to do with the Nexperia BenQs, and should not even be under the same forum. All discussion of MediaTek BenQs should be in the Lite-On forum, because that is what they are. Very illogical forum organization, [/quote] Whereas newbies will have no problem going to the MediaTek forum for (some) Samsung, BenQ and LiteOn drives, going to the MediaTek forum for some Sony drives, to the NEC forum for some other Sony drives, to whatever forum for yet some other Sony drives, going to the Sanyo forum for some Plextor drives, going to the NEC forum for some other Plextor drives, going to the whatchamacallit forum for the whosyourdaddy drives… ?

Now that wouldn’t be confusing at all and all newbies should be expected to do it easily? :disagree:

which leads newbies to doing things like this. :rolleyes:
You mean “newbies” who have been at CDFreaks longer than you? :wink: