BenQ 1640 & Burn Marks

vbimport

I just got a new 1640 (not rebadged), and from time to time, there are dark burn spots (between 1-3 usually) on the DVD+R.

I only have Verbatim DVD+R 16x (MCC004) media, so I can’t test it with others.

I have burned 6 DL media (Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4 @ 4x (MKM001), and no burn marks, so far.

Does anyone know if this the fault of the media or the burner?

Definitely the media - I’ve never had any dye spots appear on any other blank media that I’ve bought.

I’ve had some MIT Verbatim 16x DVD-R (MCC 03RG20), which showed similar characteristics after burning with my Benq 1650.

After completing a burn, I noticed a big spot on the underside of one of the discs. I’m sure I posted it on this forum somewhere. I was told that this problem is due to defective media.

However, after updating my firmware, the dye spots seemed to have disappeared since I started burning more of these discs (in the same burner of course).

I tried a good deal of the 1640’s most recent firmwares & all of the external’s crossflashed firmware, didn’t help.

But since my Optiarc has been having the same prob with the last 2 50 pack spindles, I’m guessing it’s the media as well.

After talking to BenQ technical support, I was told as much. He told me if the burner was at fault, then the burns usually wouldn’t complete, or the dvd+r’s would be unreadable.

I think it’s a media problem as well.

Have you tried using high quality media such as TY -R/+R discs in this burner? It might make all the difference.

I’ve heard that some burners can be very picky when it comes to certain brands and makes of blank DVD media. So it might be worth getting some TY discs and giving them a go. If you start to notice the spots again after completing a burn, then the burner needs replacing I’m afraid.

Like I said earlier, I had the same problem a few months back. I’ve dug out the thread for you. Have a good read through it:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=190055&highlight=dye+spot