Benq 1640 Bulk vs.OEM

Well, after almost 15 days playing with a unity, that i buy, in a box, in white color, i found another store with the same Model, in Black.

So i decide for the Black unity, Bulk :bigsmile:

My suprise came when the unity, doesn`t show the BENQ logo…

Also the Eject button was diferent… :confused:

The information about the Model was in a diferen t place, from my previous model…it was in the side of thar plastic circle…

Some informations:

DW1640
NO:OI33
Made in Malaysia
25.10.10 October
BS-DAILBD/IA/BSLB

Well i made my first burn on a Philips +R 8X@8X

WOPC ON
SB ON

I expect to put here a scan of this unity vs. OEM, but so far i`m very disapointed :a

Is any kind of diference with this 2 units?

Mordorr

Both drive should give you the same result!!!

Well it doesn`t! :a

Here is the result:

And with the OEM drive, the first burn:

The rest of the burns aren`t very diferen´t…

Maybe it`s the FW…i will change to BSMB if there is a improvement…

Mordorr

why are you complaining, aren’t you keeping the black (second) drive. :slight_smile:

Also, FW might make the difference.

Nop.

The white was back to store. We can do it here in Portugal. Before 15 days, if i`m not happy with a stuff, i can return it with no justification :bigsmile:

Maybe i will do it again with this one… :wink:

New stuff been burned and tested :stuck_out_tongue:

Mordorr

1. You need to give Solidburn a chance to learn your media

2. You have different firmwares on the drives.

3. You aren’t scanning them the same, one is at 4x and the other is at 8x.

4. You’re not burning the entire disc, its hard to get accurate readings from a partial burn sometimes.

All of these are variables that can play a part of why your burns are different between the 2 drives.

Just to warn everyone, I’m a complete noob when it comes to dvd-rws. I just bought the dw1640 too, and my No. is 0c7. The face is also different, with no BenQ logo and a different eject button. Does anyone else have this model, and if so, is it any different? I’d appreciate any help. Thanks!

Just to warn everyone, I’m a complete noob when it comes to dvd-rws. I just bought the dw1640 too, and my No. is 0c7. The face is also different, with no BenQ logo and a different eject button. Does anyone else have this model, and if so, is it any different? I’d appreciate any help. Thanks!

yes. I went to get one today and they real suck!!! :a :a

Change the FW to BSBM, WOPC and OS OFF:

Here is the brillant result:

Stupid idea of change drive! ( #&%$%#).

Tomorow i will return this drive! My advice is don`t buy BULK!

Only with a box! :rolleyes:

Back old trust Plextor… :bigsmile:

Mordorr

are you allowing SolidBurn to learn your media?

in way you might be right, I think there’s more of a quality control for retail than OEM ones.

I’ve been very…very happy with my retail 1640 and in the future I will only buy retail dw1655, I think is worth the extra cost!!!

I don’t think I’d want to burn MBI media with WOPC off.

Yeah, try some TY media to see what your drive can really do…

BTW, do you really think BenQ slaps together its OEM drives and is much more careful w/ its retail drives? No way… :disagree:

I`m testing another burn…and i will keep the unit for some days testing…

if, in comparation whit the other, meet the same standarts, i will return it.

Just so simple.

Can someone confirm, if the retail is made also in Malyasia?

Best regards,

Mordorr

I realize this is a really obvious question to everyone else, but are those scans good or bad? How can I check to see if my drive is any good? Does Nero CD-DVD Speed come with the Nero Suite? And what should I look for in my results?

Are you running the BenQ on the same channel as that Liteon drive of yours?
Do you have any other media to try? MBI aint exactly known for consistency…

Am I the only one that remembers the “Malaysia made are so much better than made in China drives”? Oh, and OEM is so much worse than retail. No, really. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not adressing anyone in particular here, :slight_smile:
Q.

Get Nero CDSpeed from here: http://www.cdfreaks.com/software/34

Reading scans can be learned here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Generally, you want low total numbers and low PIE max levels. Also, depending on the drive you want PIF to be below a threshold. It is different for Liteon and BenQ. PIF is more important than PIE.

Also, remember, BenQ drive a very inconsistent from one to another. Difference will have nothing to do with OEM vs Retail.

Also, remember, BenQ drive a very inconsistent from one to another. Difference will have nothing to do with OEM vs Retail.

hummm…yes its seems to be the case...because this time i try another, media, but the ID isnt very diferent…

Memorex +R 4x@4X

WOPC and SB ON

Retail Benq version:

Please take in consideration, this last burn was made at 8X and not 4X…

Well it`s too late and i must goo sleep.

Tomorow i will try some OS and and other medias…

Inconsistent this hardware… :bigsmile:

Mordorr

So the OEM version did better in your initial test, and in your last tests the Retail did better, even when overspeeding to 8x (although it’s possibly a media variation as both burns show relatively similar results vs. your initial tests)… :doh:

BTW, are you testing these on different drives?? You SHOULD run all of your tests on only ONE of the drives, as drives can vary just as much in PI/PIF scanning as they do in burning. Designate one or the other when doing burn comparisons from each drive.

Well i didn`t have any scan of the OEM version at 4X…but i think is the same, because the media is been consistent even on Plextor… :cool:

Just to finish, the DVD on post#8, scaned on Plextor…

is not so bad… :bigsmile:

Time to sleep…

Mordorr

Another “Brillant” result:

CD Sony X50 burned at 32X…

Versus OEM…

Definily, it goes back to Store… :bigsmile:

Mordorr

So true. :iagree:

Actually with the changing quality of MIDS these days I think every 1640 owner burning anything else than TY should always set the drive to burn with SB and WOPC both on. Why not take full advantage of this drive’s greatest feature: adaptation to media variation? :confused: