BenQ 1625 will burn CDs but not DVDs

vbimport

Hello. I’m new to the world of DVD burners, but not to CD burners. I have used my BenQ DW1625 to burn CDs and print lightscribe labels on my CDs. Both of these features work perfectly. No problems.

The problem I am having is that I am unable to burn DVDs. I have tried burning different types/mixtures of files, using different programs (Nero 6, Sonic MyDVD Suite) and I get the same result, it gives me an error and stops burning. Nero 6 will say “Write Error” and then tell me that the Burn Process has failed. I had another CD drive (CD burner only) on my PC, and thought it could have problems having 2 on the system, so I removed the other one completely. I have looked around on forums for solutions, like ensuring DMA was activated, which I did, but I’m still having the same problem. Often, it will only allow me to burn at 4x, but when it has allowed up to 16x, I drop it down to the lowest (2.4x) to see if that will help. It does not. I updated the firmware for it and that has not helped either. I am using Verbatim DVD+R discs (16x) but have not tried any other “brands” of DVDs. Is it possible that this is simply a media issue?

I have even tried burning the EXACT same data that works fine to a CD and that does not work when doing to DVD. I have probably wasted about 25 DVDs in this process so far! :frowning:

One thing I notice is that when I put a blank DVD into the drive, the window that pops up acknowledging this says “Blank CD”, not “Blank DVD”. But since I’m new to the world of DVD burning, I’m not sure if this is normal or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Chris

Can it read dvds anymore?

Some DVD burners have a cd and dvd laser and either or can go “Bad” and this could be your problem, although I have never heard of this probelm with the dw1625.

You may want to try different media. Maybe your batch was just bad?