Benq 1620 won't flash..."Drive not supported!"

vbimport

This is the error message I get trying to flash, either to B7L9 or B7T9

ATAPI DVD DD 2X16X4X16G7H9
==> New F/W Version : B7T9

Drive not supported!

Why…???

Get a G version for OEM drives. G7T9

Edit : Sorry no G version available for now. You must use a *CVT file and flash with Windwflash, if you think it worth it.

No kidding…ok thanks.
Is that why it says ATAPI, and not Benq…??

Yes, go here and flash the drive with B7P9 firmware and then use the official BenQ B7T9 flash tool to upgrade to that.

Edit:As Rolling56 pointed out skip B7P9 and go straight to T instead :slight_smile:

B7T9 cvt is there if you want to go direct

Yea…that’s what I did…worked out fine…

Thanks all…:slight_smile:

Mine had “G” OEM f/w on it when i got it and i’ve flashed to most all f/w’s with it and no problems so far. Some say if you have problems flash back to B7L9 burn one disk and flash to whatever you want to correct it. Never had to try it but you might want to save some of those f/w’s on that page so you will have them if you need them

So if I buy a OEM version, can I flash it once with a hacked retail firmware, and then allways be able to flash with retail firmwares with no modifications?

Ben :slight_smile:

bcn_246

You understand it right?

Sorry, I still dont understand, I have read this thread (and searched), basicly in the UK you can only get a OEM version of this drive.

As the retail (not “G”) firmware wont flash a OEM normally, but I want to be able to use the retail firmwares, what I dont understand is that if I flash it with a hacked firmware (cvt file from the site 8T8 suggested) will I allways have to use hacked firmwares to do firmware upgrades on this drive using the retail firmwares, or will I after one hacked flash be able to allways upgrade with the retail firmwares without any problems?

If so I will order a 1620 OEM today.

Many thanks,

Ben :slight_smile:

Don’t worry about this Ben. Once you flash it from a “G” drive to a “B” drive, it will actually become a “B” drive and all future firmware upgrades will work (I know, since I did this conversion a while back).

Some recommend flashing to version B7L9 at some point prior to running the final BenQ B7T9.EXE file - for calibration reasons. Since there’s no downside to this, it might be a good idea to do it - just in case.

I’m new to this whole thing. I just received an OEM Benq1620 with G7L9 firmware. :iagree: Am I correct to assume that all I need to do is flash it with B7L9 firmware to make it a “B” drive. Then simply re-flash it with B7T9 firmware?

Do I need to burn a disc after flashing it to B7L9 firmware as some people have commented? Also, what is so great about the hacked firmwares? What does the hacked firmware do? and do I need hacked firmware to convert my drive from a “G” drive to a “B” drive? :confused:

Thanks,
ImBAD

You’ll likely need to use the hacked “.CVT” file (although there’s an outdated "G"1620->1600->"B"1620 technique which might work as well), along with the separate flasher program in order to convert it from a “G” drive to a “B” drive, as per the following site.

http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm

Once it’s a “B” drive, you can run any stock “.EXE” firmware to upgrade or even to backgrade the drive.

[QUOTE=Spartane]You’ll likely need to use the hacked “.CVT” file

Which hacked .cvt file do I need to use?

Thanks for the help,
ImBAD

Sorry two more questions, What’s the difference between G7P9 and G7Z9 firmware? What does the RPC-1 firmware do?

Regarding the burning of a disc - I tried it both ways and it didn’t seem to make any difference - at least for me.

Once you’ve converted the drive to a “B” drive (with any of the earlier “.CVT” firmwares), I say to just run B7L9.EXE file followed immediately by running B7T9.EXE. Make sure you run the EXE file itself rather than the CVT/Flasher program, since it may do a bit more than just flash the firmware (I don’t know this is happening - but I’d guess that it’s possible).

G7Z9 seems to be somewhat mislabeled in that it seems to be an old firmware rather than a new one. I’d be inclined to stay away from it.

I believe the RPC-1 firmware is a hacked firmware that helps defeat region code limitations that are imposed via the firmware, although I have never had call to make use of it myself.

Thanks for the help, that all makes sense now

Oh, just one more question. Are there are risks to converting your drive from a “G” drive to a “B” drive? Does the drive take a hit in quality or anything? Or is there a risk of hosing the drive?

It doesn’t make sense to me why there’d by two different firmware versions for the same drive in the first place.

It doesn’t make sense to me why there’d by two different firmware versions for the same drive in the first place.

because the “G” series is a OEM/BULK version of the drive and the “B” version is the retail drive. it’s used to identify which is retail or bulk.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs