Benq 1620 w B7W9 no longer senses blank media

vbimport

Went to burn CD today and my Benq 1620 in XP and Vista will no recognize that the drive has blank media and therefore opens the tray and Nero prompts me for blank media. Similar things happen in IMGBurn as well.

It will still read burnt CDs I assume the the drive is dead?

Guess its time for a replacement. Looking for an IDE or maybe SATA drive. Howe is the Pioneer 216D for data and image burns. Do not do much in the way of audio discs.

You’re probably right, but just to check something anyway - do you have Alcohol or Daemon Tools installed?

[quote=pcguy999;2112679]Went to burn CD today and my Benq 1620 in XP and Vista will no recognize that the drive has blank media and therefore opens the tray and Nero prompts me for blank media. Similar things happen in IMGBurn as well.

It will still read burnt CDs I assume the the drive is dead?

Guess its time for a replacement. Looking for an IDE or maybe SATA drive. Howe is the Pioneer 216D for data and image burns. Do not do much in the way of audio discs.[/quote]
Did you try [B]DVD[/B]s? Sometimes a drive will not recognize a [B]CD [/B]but will recognize a DVD.

Or try cleaning the laser lens.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2112686]You’re probably right, but just to check something anyway - do you have Alcohol or Daemon Tools installed?[/QUOTE]

I did have Alcohol installed but that was last year and I am pretty sure that I got rid of all its pieces. The drive worked fine last week as a I burnt a ISO to a CD.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2112687]Did you try [B]DVD[/B]s? Sometimes a drive will not recognize a [B]CD [/B]but will recognize a DVD.[/QUOTE]

Yes same thing with a blank DVD.

[QUOTE=Bob;2112688]Or try cleaning the laser lens.[/QUOTE]

Ok could try that. Would that affect only the burning process ie not realize that there was blank media in the drive but still able to read already burnt media?

Not sure but i have a Plextor 760A that quit reading and writing and i cleaned the lens with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and works like new now.

It’s worth a try is all i’m saying. But try what the others have mentioned also.

If needed clean out the inside of your pc with a can of air too while you have the case open.

Sorry to say but after taking the Benq apart I had a heck of a time getting it back together. I assume that the metal plate inside the burner on the top should have the plastic hub inwards in order to grasp the CD/DVD.

There was a notched/gear sticking out from the main housing on the right front of the burner which kept hitting one of the metal fastening holes on the main outside cover. Anyways the drive is fubar’d now since the tray keeps opening on its own and will not stay shut.

What is a good ATA DVD burner to replace the Benq with?

[QUOTE=pcguy999;2113188]What is a good ATA DVD burner to replace the Benq with?[/QUOTE]Pioneer.

[QUOTE=ValHall64;2113197]Pioneer.[/QUOTE]

Any particular ATA Pioneer model? DVR-115D? DVR-116D?

I have the 115D and like it a lot. Good with quality media and not-so-good stuff.

For the record, the drive should have never been taken apart. A laser lens cleaner is always a much better idea than dissassembling a drive.

Taking a drive apart is always a last resort, and only for the tech savvy. I really get annoyed by the tendency to tell newbies to do things they have no business doing.

I was able to get the drive working fine after another reassembly and have burnt several CDs and DVDs.

[QUOTE=pcguy999;2116298]I was able to get the drive working fine after another reassembly and have burnt several CDs and DVDs.[/QUOTE]:clap: glad you got it fixed :slight_smile: