Benq 1620 using Benq media problem

vbimport

I am having some problems with my Benq 1620 burning Benq - 8x media on my standalone players. Just installed my new Benq 1620 and burnt my first 3 movies, all of which nero (the latest version) detected that i could burn at 16x (even tried burning one at 8x). They dont play in my settop players. Videohelp for the 2 players can be found here and here both claim that they can play - r disks. They give me an error that the disk is dirty or cant read disk.

My computer can play all 3 disks fine. I also tried burning one of the movies on a + 4x Memorex disk which only worked on the second player. Would updating the firmware or just getting new media be my best bet.

Thanks, Craige

Can you post a PI / PIF scan of the BenQ disks burnt at the diff speeds

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid154/p06ed14808351212a249653f6322255b6/f5761055.jpg

the burn was done at 16x and i see shit loads of problems, getting a scan of a 4x disk now

I advise you to update the firmware of the Benq 1620, the firmware your using is rather old. Download the WinDWFlasher.exe from here.
Download firmware B7P9.cvt from here.
Flash the firmware to make it a retail version (B version firmware)
Restart computer after flash, make sure before flashing firmware, that there is NO media is the drive.

Download original firmware B7T9.exe from here. After flashing to B7P9, and restarting computer, flash the drive to B7T9. Also download the latest cd/dvd speed tool from here

After all these installations, start cd\dvd speed and scan your dvd again, this time youll see PI Failures in cd/dvd speed tool.

You can post the scan by saving the scan first on your hard drive as a png file, and when you post in this thread, choose “advanced”, and add scan with “Manage attachements” and you can upload the scan.

Well, i followed the instructions as above and got this, im no expert but this looks real bad. I burned it on the benq - 8x disk @ 8x

real bad your kiding right, your pie is under 280 and your pif is under 16, it’s wonderful burn, there is nothing what so ever wrong with it.

Alright, by bad. It works on onee of my players now. Thats good enough for me. Thanks for all the help.

KenW
I’m not an expert, but to say it’s a wonderfull burn??.
I would think that at the points 2, 2.5 and at the end the clusterd PI Failures could provide playback issues in a standalone player…or I’m I wrong.

Overall I think it’s a rather good burn.

Just like to point out I did a scan of a 16x burn and it apears to be better.

This is a good burn, but not a great burn. We’re mostly worried about maximum values for both the PIE’s (top graph) and the PIF’s (bottom graph), rather than the totals, since a high peak presents an immediate danger to a successful burn.

Your max PIE is 55 (it happens near the beginning of the burn), but it mostly hovers around 40. This is an OK level, but a great burn would would have PIE’s that peak below 20 and hover anound 10.

Your PIF’s (generally considered to be the most important numbers) max out at 7. This is what gives you the CDSpeed “Quality Score” of 96%. So as far as CDSpeed is concerned, this is a very good burn.

Your PIE total is 353,037. I like to see this total below 100,000, and I’ve often seen it below 10,000 for a truly excellent burn. But I’ve seen totals higher than 2,000,000 and the DVD is still readable (but it’s usually marginal at this point).

Your “PI Failures” total is 2535. I like to see this below 2000, but 2535 is not high enough to worry about. This shows that most of the PIE’s were corrected by the first layer of error correction data. Note that the “PIF’s” represent the small fraction of “PI Errors” that were NOT corrected by this first layer of error correction data - and hence the name “PI Failures”.

Fortunately, there’s a second layer of error correction data will easily correct the remainder, since the PIF maximum is only 7 (and for the BenQ 1620, any value below 16 is considered to be safe).

In short, the BenQ is burning these discs acceptably, and your burn is NOT a marginal one, but a good one. That said, the disc may still not read in all of your players for the following reasons:

1. Some players simply don’t like playing certain discs, regardless of how well they scan. A good scan does NOT guarantee that the disc will be universally accepted, particularly in an older player. It merely tells you that the burner is properly burning the disc. If it fails to read in one of your players, then try a blank disc from another manufacturer. And sometimes it’s simpler to just buy a newer player.

2. There continue to be persistent reports of issues with the BenQ 1620 and “-R” discs not working in some players. It’s still my opinion that it’s a bit safer to go with “+R” discs when it comes to the 1620, but I know others will disagree with this assessment.

From a numbers point of view, your second burn looks a lot like the first one (and this is GREAT, considering you doubled your burning speed).

Your PIE’s are almost identical for both burns. However, your PIF’s are a bit better with the 16X burn.

Since the burn quality will usually decrease when you go up to the full 16X rate, one is left to wonder if the 1620 actually burned it at full speed. Did you happen to notice how long it took to actually do these two burns? On a 1620, an 8X burn will typically take about 8:38, a 12X burn will take about 6:38, and a 16X burn close to 6:00.

It was 8:something for the 8x and 6:12 on the 16x

Looks good!

I wish you all the best with your new 1620!

wheel_manz,

Happy burning to you with your new drive. Your burns look good to me.

burn looks ok…btw…scanning at 16x and 8x will be silghtly different…16x scanning is just a quicker way with less sampling to tell you roughly how good the disc is

cor808

As long as pif is under 16 the number and how close does not matter.