Benq 1620 + TYGO1 problems

vbimport

I’ve burnt about 10 of these,2 different spindles with p9and s9 , the scans are good and they verify , but half way thru on my standalone they start skipping :confused:

what brand and model your standalone? Check yours here and see if it can play -R. http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

I’ve used these before but burned them in nec 2510, and they played fine

It might be interesting to scan these discs on another drive - perhaps the 1620 is somehow “hiding” the errors. Note that I have actually seen this happen when I tried to do an on-the-fly disccopy from a BenQ 822 drive to a BenQ 1620 drive. Due to hardware limitations, the copying process could only do ~1.8X. I believe that all the pausing caused a few failures in the “seemless link” logic. My scan was perfect on the 1620, but later when I scanned it on a LiteOn burner, significant spikes showed in the “PI Failures” graph. Was DMA active and were the burns going at full speed for you?

I presume you QScanned some of these discs before burning them, and things looked fine from QScan’s perspective?

Then again, perhaps this is yet another reason for people to try and limit their burning to +R discs with the BenQ 1620 drive…

Was DMA active and were the burns going at full speed for you?

yes

I presume you QScanned some of these discs before burning them, and things looked fine from QScan’s perspective?

yes

perhaps this is yet another reason for people to try and limit their burning to +R discs with the BenQ 1620 drive

:a
I didn’t have good sucess with +R in nec 2510 so I stocked up on -R :sad:

What speed did you burn the discs at 4x or 8x ?

As I have some TY G02’s and my BenQ 1620 doesnt like burning them at anything more than its rated speed of 8x whereas my NEC 3500 will do them at 12x no problem.

Also have you tried going back to the B7P9 firmware and burning a disc with that instead ?

By the looks of the scan, we can guess that the drive is correctly in UDMA mode by viewing the nearly optimal PI pattern.

We can also guess that S9 may be functioning correctly with this combination of drive, chipset, environmentals, and media. If there is any reason to doubt, go here for official firmware: http://support.benq.com/front/BenqMain.asp?MenuHead=128&ShowType=program&FileURL=service/driverlist.asp&Dataid=16041&downloadclass=Driver&product=3731&langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

Because the title is wisely market out, we can tell that it is a movie file. So test the quality by copying the files from the disc to the hard drive using DVDDecryptor at top speed with “ignore errors” turned off. If you scoot the “OK” box out of the way, you can see the number of read retries, and they will be zero on a healthy disc.
If possible, do this copy test with a different drive once or twice to be absolutely certain. This will test to see if errors (as viewed by scans) and data can be correctly reassembled into valid data. The copy test is much more “important” than any scan because it tests the new disc’s valid data under actual in-use conditions.

Q-scan at “Normal” should be able to make the graph without a single mark over 350 to insure compatibility with your set-top player.

Since all of your new discs skip, do try one written at the very lowest speed to test in the set-top player. If that works, try one at written at 4x. It sounds like writing speed is having some sort of negative effect on compatibility with the set-top player.

If writing speed affects compatibility with the set top player and other dvd products, then try a sampling of different media.
If other media does this trick too, then exchange the drive.
If other media does not exibit the same error, then you have a good drive that does not happen to approve of the media you stocked up on.

danielwritesback’
thanks for the info :bow:
the number of read retries was zero
I burned the maxells at 4x,or under .
I’ve tried teon -R 8x,and philips -R 8x and they both play fine with s firmware.
I thought maxells were a top Quality brand :confused:
teon -R 8x burned with p firmware would not play on my stand alone,but played fine on someone elses :a