Benq 1620 ? on a slowish PC?

vbimport

Hi guys,

I am looking for a DVD burner that will allow me to back up massive amount of data (thus, Dual layer is a must). I want to backup mainly files that are on my PC (lossless music, for example). So I read few reviews here and on cdrlabs and it seems that the Benq 1620 is a good choice for me, even tho its kinda slow for DL (which I intend to use mainly).

My question is is the Benq 1620 goign to perform well on my oldish Gateway PC:

CPU 500 Mhtz
RAM 256 (old RAM, since the PC is kinda old Gateway E-3200)
XP

thanks, in advance!

Anyone??

It depends on many factors. Try for yourself for now and if something bottlenecks, start upgrading your RAM, HDD, CPU, and so on. :slight_smile:

I’d like to suggest adding the memory module to make it at least 512MB or 1GB since RAM modules are so cheap these days. :slight_smile:

You’re kinda on the low end of the minimum daily requirements for this drive. And then that begs the age old upgrade question, is it better to upgrade or just buy a new computer ??? first you’ll upgrade memory, then it’ll be the hard drive, and so on, and so on, and so on. In the end you’re paying for a new computer in upgrades and it’s still slow. also can your old puter handle pumping that info at a consistent rate to achieve the higher burn speeds ??? and btw, the benq1620 burns dl media @ 4x with latest firmware.

I have a nice HDD seagate 200GB

Just buying the Benq and trying if its works (experiemnting) is not the best idea. I am not a hazardous person. I cannot waste money on experiments. If anyone can confirm its not gonna run – im not buyng it.

my memory is 256 – but it is not cost effective to upgrade it to 512, lets say. Its an old memory type its using, so upgrade is very expensive (128 MB is like 50 bucks or so). New mwmory is cheap and there are deals all over, but for old memory its hella expensive. Thus, adding memory is not an option.

At this point I cannot afford to buy a new computer.

Again, is the drive goign to work on the specs I currently have, flawlessly?

Technically it should work but not at full speed. I would suggest a limit of 4x burning or maybe even slower if needed.

Best bet is to download something like Sandra benchmarking and see how fast your PC can read data off of the HDD, at least 8MB/s is needed for reliable DVD writing

I have two old slow machines, a PIII-450 with 768 MB (but it had only 256 MB recently) and a PII-400 with 384 MB. Both can burn at 8x without difficulty. I don’t know if they could burn faster since I only have 8x burners.

Make sure UDMA mode is enabled on your hard disk and the DVD burner. Make sure that you have the DVD burner on a separate IDE channel from the hard disk where the data is coming from.

Burning to dual layer media at 4x max. won’t be a problem for any reasonable machine. Yours is reasonable, although I’d encourage you to upgrade your memory. You will get more than $40 of performance upgrade from an extra 128 MB of RAM. If you can’t afford that, buy used. I just bought 3 128 MB PC133 sticks for $60 Canadian. Cheap cheap.

One other thing: dual layer media is close to ten bucks a disc. Good single layer media can cost as little as thirty or forty cents, and even fantastic media is well under a buck US. Rethink the idea of using dual layer media.

Thanks guys for the advice.

I am just looking at the specs of the new ND-3520A And according to newegg, the min sys requiremnts for the drive are 450 Mhz, 128 RAM. So I am lokking forward to a review of that model and maybe aill buy that one since it seems to be less hardware demanding and maybe its better than 3500A, it a newer model :slight_smile:

PhotoJim,
GOOOD advice , m8. Thank you.

As photojim’s mentioned, burn at 4x.

I have a Celery @ 1.35GHz, 384MB RAM, UDMA enabled on my Pioneer 108 and even at 4x the HDD chugs non-stop…so I’d say 4x is tops. Though I did (accidentally) overspeed to 12x and it worked as well.

When burning I’d leave the PC untouched until it’s done…

Of course,

When doing any kinda burining (even regular data CDR or whaever) I have a golden rule – PC stays untouched. And even many times I exit any programs that seem to eat resources in system tray, u know like messengers and stuff, cuz they 're constantly working … and i like to have GOOD burns :slight_smile:

Your computer is running XP.
If the buffering speed is not fast enough, you can try to use windows 2000 or disable all those windows xp graphics.