Benq 1620 Incompatible with External Enclosure (Plumax - Cypress chipset)

vbimport

Hi Guys,

This is my very first post and after searching entire net, I landed up in this forum… found lots of informative stuff.

I am really not into too much of hardware / firmware.

I purchased IO MAgic DVD writer (Benq 1620), I went ahead and bought Plumax 525U2 external enclosure (Which has Cypress Semiconductor chipset).

I didnt know that both are incompatible, however now both are under my roof and I have verified both work without a problem separately but both are incompatible (I learned very hard way and also have ruined 1 hard disk to see if everything is fine with the enclosure).

I really want to know if I can really make my enclosure to work with Benq or not, if yes, how.

Will really appreciate any help I can get. Since probably it will require upgrading a firmware hence have put under this forum…

Thanks in advance for any help but am struggling to make it work since a month now :frowning:

Thanks,
Chintu

What os are you running?. What board, we need all the particulars. Board, cpu,ram,boards installed, Is the external enclosure your running a USB 1.1 or 2.0? Do you have usb 2.0 capabilities ?. Are all your board drivers installed and updated. Have you checked the bios to see if you need to possibly turn on something for USB ?. Who told you that the chipsets wern’t compatable? If your not using XP have you got the external driver installed from the Install CD that came with the enclosure. I find it hard to believe that an external case wont work with a particular chip set. If the drive works as an ide it should work in the enclosure. Also since you installed your own DVD did you set the jumper on the back of the drive as a master. They will only work set as master. This is a needed by the enclosure for it to function properly. I have 2 usb 2.0 external enclosures and they both will run anything I plug into them

Dominator2 :cool: :iagree:

Reading is knowledge
Knowledge is Power
POWER is absolute

My answers to all your question :

What os are you running?.
CHINTU : Win XP Home Edition with SP2

What board, we need all the particulars. Board, cpu,ram,boards installed?
CHINTU : Am not very sure about it… but it didnt work with 1 desktop and 1 laptop (Laptop is HP ZE5375US). PS : I got a DVD writer from office max to test [non Benq] and it worked without a problem in both the Laptop and Desktop.

Is the external enclosure your running a USB 1.1 or 2.0?
CHINTU : USB 2.0

Do you have usb 2.0 capabilities ?
CHINTU : YES

Are all your board drivers installed and updated.

Have you checked the bios to see if you need to possibly turn on something for USB ?

Who told you that the chipsets wern’t compatable?
CHINTU : DEALSONIC.COM tech support and also other users in this forum.

If your not using XP have you got the external driver installed from the Install CD that came with the enclosure.
CHINTU : IT IS XP

I find it hard to believe that an external case wont work with a particular chip set. If the drive works as an ide it should work in the enclosure.
CHINTU : Even I felt the same and thus by trying different techniques… I also blew up one hard disk :frowning: But it didnt work.

Also since you installed your own DVD did you set the jumper on the back of the drive as a master. They will only work set as master. This is a needed by the enclosure for it to function properly. I have 2 usb 2.0 external enclosures and they both will run anything I plug into them
CHINTU : YES I DID.

Unfortunately after trying so manythings… I think I have to agree with every one that they are incompatible… all though I dont want to believe… but I have to :frowning:

Thanks for your queries though… let me know if you can recommend any solution [other than throwing the DVD writer / enclosure :)]

Chintu;
Can you RMA the Plumax case beck to Dealsonics and exchange it for a Plumax PM-525C2-PPB (Black case). If not, save the case you have for future external Haed Drive use & pick up the one I have recommended for use with your BenQ.
See Here:
http://www.dealsonic.com/plpmblcousb22.html

This Plumax case is a Prolific based combo USB2 & Firewire Bridgeboard. I get 21MB/s on USB2 and 23MB/s on firewire which translates into 12X USB2 Burns and 16X (with the right media) on Firewire.
You will have to update the PL-3507 firmware & Crossflash your BenQ DW1620 to a BenQ EW1621 with 47L9 firmware to get these results…But worth it!