Benq 1620 frezzes ripping Sopranos DVD-help!

vbimport

I have an OEM 1620 that has been updated to FW B7P9. I’ve ripped and burned a number of DVD’s and had no trouble up to this point. I’ve pretty much been doing the Soprano’s DVD’s with 3 or 4 episodes on each one. I started ripping Season 3 Disk 4 yesterday and did fine until DVDDecrypter stopped after starting one of the VOB files with a “can’t read media” error. I tried to retry numerous times and even tried to just rip that individual file with no success. I then tried DVD Shrink and also AnyDVD with the same results. I then tried to play the disk on my computer with the BenQ and PowerDVD 6 and it locked up I believe at the same point. I visited my brother today and took the disk with me and his computer and Sony DVD burner buzzed right thru it with no problems. So I guess there’s nothing wrong with the original disk. My question is this, should I update the FW to maybe B7T9 and see if that makes any difference or is my Benq hopeless for reading this particular section of the disk?? Again I’ve ripped and burned numerous Sopranos DVD’s and never had a problem up until now. Any ideas out there from those more learned than me?? Thanks alot for any assistance!!

try using the latest DVD DECRYPTER or use VOB BLANKER to rip…i don’t think it has to do with the firmware that you’re using…try wiping the disc with a soft cloth…sometime smudges and little scratches will cause problems in the disc not being able to rip…your brother’s sony dvd burner is a rebadged liteon which is a excellent reader which is why he could rip it with no problems…ii would strongly suggest getting a dvdrom to do the ripping for you…wear and tear on the dvd burner to do the ripping could cause problems later although some swear there’s no proof of that…why take a chance in my opinion…i’ve used my 1620 to rip discs that could not be done in my toshiba dvdroms…which has only been a few of them… :wink:

P.S. sony/columbia pictures has inserted bogus vob files where discs cannot be ripped at all…resident evil apocalypse and little black book are 2 movies that some people had problems with…using the latest dvd decrypter or vob blanker to rip solved the problem…good luck :slight_smile:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

DVD Addict,
Thanks for the reply. I believe I have downloaded and am using the latest DVD Decrypter, it’s 3.5.2. I haven’t tried the VOB Blanker program but will take a look for it.

The only thing I don’t understand is if my 1620 locks up trying to read the VOB file 8 minutes into it, will it matter what ripper software I’m using?? If it won’t read it it won’t rip it correct??

Do “all” DVD burners no matter what brand have certain disks that give them trouble or is it possible my BenQ needs to be sent back??

Did some checking on VOB Blanker and the web site says it needs a ripped file set to work on. According to the author, JSOTO, it doesn’t rip a DVD just allows reauthoring and cutting. Looks like a pretty need one though!!

This is a try before you buy package. It walked right thru Resident Evil even with it’s protection scheme. You can save the dvd to the hard drive just like dvddecrypter does and then use shrink to compress it. It won’t cost ya anything and you may even like it!

http://www.dvd-copy-software.org/

Did some checking on VOB Blanker and the web site says it needs a ripped file set to work on. According to the author, JSOTO, it doesn’t rip a DVD just allows reauthoring and cutting. Looks like a pretty need one though!!

that’s odd because my friend purchased RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE and he couldn’t rip it with DECRYPTER or DVD SHRINK…so he let me try it out and i found a thread at www.videohelp.com that recommended using VOB BLANKER to rip the movie which worked for me…you don’t need a ripped file for VOB BLANKER to work…all you do is open up VOB BLANKER and direct the input folder which is where your dvd movie is at…then select a output folder which is where you want the files saved to…then click on execute to let the program rip the movie for you…that is what i did and was able to rip the movie then i used DVDREBUILDER to back up the movie…it does work give it a try…here’s the link regarding using VOB BLANKER for RESIDENT EVIL 2:
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=250352

and if it fails then try contacting BENQ to RMA the drive but i really think the disc is probably scratched or smudged which is why it couldn’t be read by the 1620 but could be with your brothers sony drive (rebadged liteon)…try VOB BLANKER out and report back if it works for you or not.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE

OK,
Downloaded VOB Blanker I think version 1.6.0.3. Used the Soprano’s disk as the input and another folder as the output. It seemed to read all the VOB files then I clicked the PROCESS button at the bottom of the window. Came back after about 2 seconds with an error saying “Input error, reached end of VOB too early” So not sure if that program will work because I can’t seem to get it running correctly.

Also ran DVDDecrypter again and this is the error message I get there

I/O Error
Scsi Status: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition
CDB: 28 00 00 1E 6A 70 00 00 01 00
Interpretation: Read (10) Sector: 1993328
Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
Interpretation: Unrecovered Read Error

Also I did bump my firmware up to B7T9 last night and it also did nothing.

Looks like I may be screwed here unless I can find another DVD player/burner to install in my computer to see if it works.

Wht is the best way to clean a DVD I’ve tried the soft cloth method–any liquid cleaner to try??

you did the VOB BLANKER process correctly so that tells me the disc is scratched or smudged…i have heard some people use toothpaste with a soft cloth or you could purchase that cd/dvd doctor kit that supposedly cleans smudges and scratches…does your pc have room for another optical drive? I would suggest you get a dvdrom to do the ripping for you and keep the BENQ 1620 just for burning dvds.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE

I ran into this once with my LiteOn 166 reader - and it was on a disc without CSS!

It simply wouldn’t read the disc and it was brand new out of the package!

I simply read it in my LiteOn 451@832 and it worked fine -> that was the ONLY disc the 166 wouldn’t read (till it died and wouldn’t read any discs several months later).

Getting a reader to rip with is a good idea, or just have a friend rip it if you can’t if the problem creeps up rarely -> sometimes it’s just easier to deal with the problem than it is to figure it out!

Once you rip with vob blanker and make a successful backup can you then copy the backup without incident or do you need to use vob blanker again?

its the disc…i get this error even using a liteon drive to rip…

??? So you’re having problems with the Sopranos too? Interesting because the initiator of the thread was able to back it up with a Sony (LiteOn) drive.

BTW, visit SlySoft’s home page - the newest version of AnyDVD is setup to deal with the newer protection schemes.

even windtalkers…and city of angels-special edition

BTW, visit SlySoft’s home page - the newest version of AnyDVD is setup to deal with the newer protection schemes.

why pay for software when you can use freeware like VOB BLANKER or the latest DVD DECRYPTER to overcome the newer copy protection schemes…

Once you rip with vob blanker and make a successful backup can you then copy the backup without incident or do you need to use vob blanker again?

just use explorer to copy and paste to make another copy of the backup or use DVD SHRINK with NO COMPRESSION then NERO to burn…there is no need to use VOB BLANKER again to make a copy of a copy…

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE

OK,
After much handwringing and cheezing off my wife, I have FINALLY succeeded to successfully rip and burn this disk!! I have tried every ripping program I can get my hands on and that includes DVD X Rescue and Isobuster. All them came up either with freezing at the bad sector, or giving me really bad information for that VOB file. I bought a Lite-On 167T DVD-ROM and that also refused to read the bad sector. I brought home a burner from work and borrowed my son’s Optorite–no luck. I thought my last try was getting the toothpaste out which I did. The first time it was worse, I did it again and got it back to the way it was. I was about ready to give up, which my wife had been telling me for 2 weeks, when I got one last idea. I had read somewhere slowing down the default read speed had helped someone, except I didn’t no how to. I posted on another site and got a reply to try Nero’s Drivespeed. I already had an older copy, but got version 3.0 and installed it. I was able to set my Lite-On to 1X, 2X, 4X, 8X, or maximum. I set to 2X and crossed my fingers. It got to the magic 31% where it locked up and just kept ripping!! I was very pleased and now have my back-up copy.

So for all you who are having read problems on a particular disk, I would try this first before trying all the different programs and readers. It would have saved me alot of aggrevation. Just a note for all you guys and gals from a new learner!!

I was going to suggest it but seems it’s already been suggested. It sounds like copy-protection to me and AnyDVD will probably be able to defeat it. 21 day trial so you don’t lose anything by trying it - I love the program myself. :bigsmile:

Braxas,
As I said in my post above I tried every ripping program I got my hands on and AnyDVD was one of them, although I didn’t specify that particular one. I just needed to slow the read process down apparantly so it could do a better more thorough job of reading the information I guess. Or maybe I’m all screwed up!! Whatever, I finally got the job done!! I have used AnyDVD on a disk that did read better and I do agree it was pretty smooth. Just not in this case, however most of the ripping programs would probably have worked after I slowed the speed down to 2X. It’s just the only one I used was DVDDecrypter.

I had the exact same problem with that disc and episodes. I thought it was because the ripping program I was using was shrinking it down enough for me, but I never figured it out. Glad you found a solution, maybe I will go back and copy that one now.

Hey Boobytrap,
Unbelievable to see you had the same problem on the same disk. Maybe it is something that got “burned” into it when copying for resale! Compare this to what you had–my problem occurred on Season 3 Disk 4, episode 2 right where it switches from chapter 4 to 5. The screen darkens, then generally it just freezes the player, but sometimes it will advance to chapter 5. Every ripping program I tried stopped at the same exact spot with errors until I slowed my speed down to 2X.

Let me know if you had the same things happening to you!!