BENQ 1620 B7P9 and sudden slow burns

vbimport

Hi all,

I usually burn at 4X in about 16 minutes. However, dvd decrypter now burns this one movie at 0.7-0.8X. It is an iso image format and will take just over an hour.

The last program i installed was clonedvd2. I am quite sure i have burned .iso images before in 15 min using DD. I am using the same media BENQ DVD - R on all my burns.

Could it be clonedvd2 has installed some stuff to slow down dvd decrypter?

Thanks in advance

I’d try defragging the hard drive if it’s been awhile since you’ve done it. Only reason I say this is because of the fact your burning a file from the hard drive and if it’s having trouble accessing this could cause a dramatic decrease in your burn times. CloneDVD2 shouldn’t effect anything really as it’s really pretty unobtrusive in the way it installs and puts itself in the computer. I have Nero, DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and CloneDVD2 installed and don’t have any issues with those programs running together and playing nice. :slight_smile:

It sounds like your drive is in PIO MODE.
Check to see that your drive is set to DMA MODE.
If you’re using XP here’s a link to set to DMA MODE.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625

If you’re using windows 2000.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9668

If you’re having problems enabling DMA MODE in XP.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6645

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW :slight_smile:
PIONEER 107D DVDRW :slight_smile:
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2) :slight_smile:
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

Defragging hard drive
Checking Windows Device manager to see if:
There is/is not the troublesome VSO Patton Couffin driver installed
The Secondary master IDE channel is/is not correctly in Ultra Dma 2
Checking for virus or “Protected Recycle Bin” program is interfering
Checking for presence of troublesome DLA, INCD, DirectCD software

Thanks To all of you…I have noticed that one of my primary hard drive on which the image was stored was in PIO mode.

Could this have been the problem??. I have uninstalled and re-installed it and now its in DMA mode 5. I will have to burn an img to verify if it was a problem. I dont know how this could have changed since all my other burns were off the same drive.

Will let you know of the results

That would be the cause for slow burns 4 SURE!

My 1620 with FW: G7P9 got the same situation after around 20 excellent burnings. Now, no matter I use TDK or Sony, it always produces DVDs @ 1.4 X. I degraged HDs and made sure DMA is on (Mode 5 for HDs and 2 for the burner), no luck. The LED keeps red/ green, which makes me believe it’s ‘walking’. However, these are DVDs which never need to ‘walk’. I also notice the ripping becomes slow, amazingly also 1.4 X.

Frustrating…

If Windows detects a certain number of disk errors, it assumes that DMA may be the problem and it automatically sets the drive to PIO mode (without telling you).

Sometimes, even though you set it back to DMA mode, Windows will continue to use PIO mode. The only way to fix this problem is to delete the controller, then re-boot and let Windows will reinstall it. Once the controller is re-installed, you can set the drive back to DMA mode. (If you need to do this, delete the controller, not the drive).

Ok i am back with some results. I uninstalled the controller and rebooted windows…came up fine in DMA mode. Then burned a dvd at 4X and it speed was ok.
Today i burned at 8X for the first time and my HD clicks several times and then goes into PIO mode again. I uninstalled the controller, rebooted windows and the controller would be recognized but windows asked for a restart.

Then it went into a loop --> recognize IDE --> installed new hardware --> please restart windows --> recognize IDE --> installed new hardware --> please restart windows. I ended up doing a system restore.

I checked the Event viewer in windows and there were ftdisk and atapi errors and bad block errors. I did a chkdsk /F to fix it and dont see these anymore. Hopefully these will fix the issue but i think my atapi.sys file might be corrupted.

And hopefully not the sign of a failing hard drive or something else. What power supply do you have in the computer, sfernan? Enough to power all the optical drives/hard drives I’d hope. I run a 400 watt PSU and it seems to be enough for me, haven’t had a drain on anything from that yet at least. I think 400 watt is absolutely as low as I’d want to go - dipping down below that could be a little iffy with 2 hard drives and 2 dvd-burners on the internal bus. hehe

agree with braxas…sounds like a failing HDD…oh yeah and for me 400W is also as low as i go…i use a Tagan 480W…True Power…

elee and braxas, i have a 450 watt PSU. After i ran a chkdsk, i dont see these errors any more. Maybe either one is failing…i hope not tho

sfernan - if I had to take a wild guess I’d say it’s the master hard drive that is potentially / maybe failing considering that’s where it sounds like the errors are popping up. The good thing though is that most of the hard drive manufacturers (Seagate and WD for sure that I know of…) are pretty good about covering their warranties and such. :slight_smile:

My another PC got similar problem. It keeps using Multiword DMA 2 for 2 ATA-100 HDs and the 1620. When I did the same trick, removing the IDE controller, my XP told me that the driver for the primary and secondary channel is not expected to us on the platform… Then, I followed someone’s solution to install VIA Miniport… Things become worse (shutdown itself). I eventually restore the MS driver and still on ‘multiword DMA 2’…

Any suggestion? Thanks million.

I agree with the others…it does sound like a drive failure problem. It might be worth backing up all of your data (Norton Ghost works really well for this), reformatting your hard drive, and then restore from your backup.

@kangbao - what chipset is that VIA motherboard using? If you are on 133/A or the 266 chipset you might want to open the case up and swap the IDE cables on the motherboard. IDE 1 for IDE 2 and IDE 2 for IDE 1. I had to do this on my old Athlon XP 1800+ computer with a KT133A chipset motherboard to get Ultra DMA Mode 2 enabled on the DVD Drives. Otherwise I was stuck in Multi-word DMA 2 no matter what I did. The hard drives will work on Ultra DMA Mode 5 without any issues after making the switch or at least they should.

Gibson Research Corp makes a real nice program called SpinRite. It allows you to reformat your disk while keeping the data intact. It also is able to recover data that is on in bad sectors and it will move the data to a good sector. It will mark the bad sectors so that they will not be used. Another alternative to backing up, reformatting, then restoring.