Benefits through disabling write-behind caching?

I was looking at tweakxp.com the today and found this little jewel

Windows defaults to write-behind caching, holding data in a memory buffer before writing it to disk. Disabling this function will increase your system performance by writing data immediately to disk. To disable this function, right click on My Computer and choose Properties, or open Control Panel and select System. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button. Click the plus sign next to Disk Drives and select a drive. Choose Properties and uncheck Write Cache Enabled. Repeat for all drives in your system.

The whole idea of write-behind caching is that it keeps information to be written to a disk drive in ram, until the disk drive is no longer busy, hence preventing the disk drive from attempting to access several parts of of the drive at once.

Of course all us haredware-savvy people know that the longest delay in reading something is the actual seek time.

If something in being written and read from a drive at the same time, the drive spends lots of time seeking, instead of reading/writing.

Although these days, HD’s have a little more intelligence I still doubt that disabling write-behind caching will have any postive effects on performance, , but will help with data security.

Anyone else here agree or disagree?

I dunno.

In my experience, using unbuffered i/o is better for small files, and buffered is better for large files.

i changed the title and moved this to the hardware forum, as i dont see how this applies to general software.

It’s OS based, hence software, but is also hardware based.