Benchmarking

Greetings All!

Time to do stupid newbie questions (hopefully not too stupid to warrant this post getting kicked into the newbie section).

What would you say is the best benchmarking tool to check a DVD’s actual recording speed? I’ve been using the CdSpeed software from CD Speed (the nero people), but have had some problems to get working figures from the Nec/Nec clone drives.

Additionally, I’ve been getting some rather odd results. The 8x Lite On drive did a 4,57x average on two different machines, no to mention on different 4x and 8x DVD’s. I find this abnormally low, has anyone else seen/done any benchmarks on this drive?

CDSpeed is fine for transfer rate tests. If you use blank media you will get a readout of the rated burn speed. A burned disc may have slow-downs due to readability issues. You can also burn a test data disc to see what it really will do.
Most drives read recordables at 8x CAV or PCAV, which gives an average in the range you posted. 4x is CLV, which is a constant rate, but 8x will start around 3.5x and end at 8x so the average is lower than 8x. As long as you see a straight line or steady curve on the graph, it’s doing what it’s supposed to. Keep in mind that when checking with a blank disc, it will only run at the speed allowed by the drive on that particular media.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
CDSpeed is fine for transfer rate tests. If you use blank media you will get a readout of the rated burn speed. A burned disc may have slow-downs due to readability issues. You can also burn a test data disc to see what it really will do.
Most drives read recordables at 8x CAV or PCAV, which gives an average in the range you posted. 4x is CLV, which is a constant rate, but 8x will start around 3.5x and end at 8x so the average is lower than 8x. As long as you see a straight line or steady curve on the graph, it’s doing what it’s supposed to. Keep in mind that when checking with a blank disc, it will only run at the speed allowed by the drive on that particular media.

Well, I basically wanna check as to how fast a drive will burn DVDs without wasting 'em. I have some test data discs (burned by CDSpeed) by Verbatim and Maxell (both 4x) and a 8x one from Ridata (+r).

As for speeds, I only mentioned the Lite On issue because I tested the 8x Plextor and got burn speeds around 6x on both +r and -r discs. So Lite On was really disappointing to me, burning at only 4,70x on both +r and -r.

Any other programs you recommend for speed testing/other tests?

And thanks :slight_smile:

You can run the test in as many programs you want and the results will be the same. The speeds are set by the drive, not the program.
DVDInfo-pro is a similar utility.