Belgian pirate to pay €40,000 for illegally downloading movies for his children

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Belgian pirate to pay €40,000 for illegally downloading movies for his children[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2011/07/PirateSkullAndCrossbones.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/belgian-pirate-to-pay-e40000-for-illegally-downloading-movies-for-his-children-71420

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“253 illegal movies, 64 computer games and 22,000 audio files”

Was this over a 5 or 10 year period?? Or did he have a download frenzy the past year.

the public prosecutor demands a fine of €4500 of each of the offenders.

Notice how the prosecutor made demands but no mention of whom was to received the fine? Odd don’t you think. It sounds more like lawyers wanting money without any credits to the programmers whom made the program. This is one reason pirating exists and will continue long after the prosecutor six feet under. Their tactics doesn’t in any law of court stop pirating or file sharing but rather it continues the practice of pirating and file sharing.

pirating is a crime, yes it is. But is this really a bad crime? Most people use a copy or download a movie in fact that they do not have the money to purchase this expensive content. Companies like Sony have to think more with the brain of customers. If the want that people buy it, they have to make it more attratcive.

The told us how great DVD was. But the fact was, one kid hand and the DVD was history (damaged): They told us that Blu-ray is great but the experience shows that it also do not life long in the hands of a childen. Streaming? In my area you cannot watch a video stream well, to slow connections. So what to do? They told us years long how bad we all are because we copied DVD to mobile to watch it there. And now? You can get a BD with Digital Copy. But what is the fuck digital copy? Just for Windows Media Player or iTunes. Haha.

Why in hell they do not develop a small box with a big hard drive? Insert the Blu-ray and it will make an autimaically copy of the movie to it. Without any copyright violation. Sell this for cheap price like Apple TV or whatever. Thisi is sthe solution and not Cinavia, AAC and all the protections that will be cracked and hacked. They want that we play fair but special Sony do not play fair. They invest millions into new, no working protections… ON DVD they make DVD disks with just 50% of the storage capabilities to have place for Accros and bad sectors. Why not invest all this money into a solution that work for all? That removes the problems, makes content cheaper.

I think iif this problem is solved, copy products and pirated content is also history.

BTW: 22000 audio files? He downloaded all this content for him? Sounds more like a professional.

Yeow! I thought the usual mega-fines were for “making available” rather than for downloading.

That number of audio files seems a bit sus, unless the guy was just slurping everything, he could be distributing.

And yes, I blame the industry too, for treating digital download as a premium product, rather than taking advantage of the opportunity to “pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap”

I do wander of the actual copyright owners would sue for nearly as much as BAF? Does BAF actually care about enforcing the law, or working on behalf of copyright owners, or do they just enjoy making money off lawsuits? How much do you wanna bet BAF just keeps the majority of the fines for themselves?

At one point, stealing money from people required dangerous weapons, and and small allies. Now, all you need to do is label the victim as a “thief”, describe yourself as the “hero”, and walk away with a pocket full of cash.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2727023] Does BAF actually care about enforcing the law, or working on behalf of copyright owners, or do they just enjoy making money off lawsuits? How much do you wanna bet BAF just keeps the majority of the fines for themselves?[/QUOTE]

I bet it’s quite a lot…and they still want more,these are some articles from their sister company SABAM,which is the Belgian organization for music rights holders,kind of like the MPAA…

SABAM sueing

And they also had the balls to collect a fee for a made-up,non existing band :
SABAM’S GREED

But it’s not about greed,you know…it’s purely to protect intellectual property…:disagree::Z

[QUOTE=roadworker;2727047]And they also had the balls to collect a fee for a made-up,non existing band :
SABAM’S GREED[/QUOTE]
That one comes from Basta I see.

I really loved their call center prank

//youtu.be/mxXlDyTD7wo

and how they uncovered that call-in show fraud

//youtu.be/QDWu2eHn41k