Beginning Programming

Hi -
Thanks for the previous help. I love music, and sound was restored to my machine. Now another matter:

I would like to introduce a 16 yr. old to programming. I thought a good way would be to introduce him to Qbasic. Can anyone suggest a better introduction?
The free download of qbasic 1.0 has a black background and somewhat dark letters on the GUI, which makes it unsuitable. Are there other sources of either a compiler or interpreter ? I’ve tried downloading qbasic 1.1 but I keep getting the message “Not win32…” which means it did not download completely.
Anyone know some good books, with good examples?

Great web site!

Qbasic? Why learn something that’s not been used these days? I’m all for learning the basics of computer programming, but isn’t that a bit too outdated?

May i suggest PHP? It’s cross-platform and is actually pretty helpful in making websites and other online stuff. This is one of the best free courses there is.

If you’re not into developing applications for websites, then Visual Studio Express versions should be a nice place to start.

Android development is pretty hot right now. Android apps are Java, and there’s a good Java tutorial available at multiple sites. Google will find it. With a little Java under his belt, he can start learning Android apps.

old is Gold :slight_smile: … Try him GWBASIC or Logo if he is Infant :0 Lolz

16 is old enough for a “real” language. Try python. It’s interpreted like BASIC. But python can be used in [I]real[/I] world programs later on.

Here’s an online tutorial: http://www.learnpython.org. And here is a more in depth tutorial: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

use the link if you want to get some lecture notes, help commands and Practical examples

If you insist on basic, then try Darkbasic free edition. Same basic syntax but with the addition of creating games, something a 16yo should enjoy while learning

I’d recommend Visual Basic, because then you have a nice Windows GUI straight away and I think it’s also a bit OOP already, which is pretty much the standard nowadays…

If BASIC is the kind of language you want to teach him then VisualBasic .net would be a better option. However, this limits him to MS Windows platforms for the most part. The problem with BASIC is that it has no set, updated, standard for it. Which is why programming languages with vast differences like REALBASIC, PowerBasic PureBasic and FreeBASIC exist (all great btw - although I’m a PureBASIC fan!)

I recommend Python though, it’s shares a lot of similarities to BASIC, is standards compliant and you (as the initial teacher) shouldn’t have too much issue picking it up, reading it’s code and explaining it.

if you’re choosing Qbasic because that’s the only language you know best. Then there’s always QB64 although I personally recommend Python. (I’d link you but right now browsing via a tiny Craptop thing).

Hi! I teach programming to 17 year olds at school.
Any procedural language (dead or modern) would be good to get familiar with the basic concepts of programming.
VB would be nice, since the kid would see the results of their work like the applications he/she uses daily. An older Basic language would be good too, but it’s good to use it only as an introduction. Otherwise it would be boring soon!
I would avoid php or Android apps as an introduction. They would be confusing on what programming really is. And of course, logo is for smaller children!

What about Windows Powershell, JavaScript, or Visual Basic? I always see ads in the classifieds hiring people with knowledge of those programming languages.

[QUOTE=xentrix;2658320]Hi! I teach programming to 17 year olds at school.
Any procedural language (dead or modern) would be good to get familiar with the basic concepts of programming.
VB would be nice, since the kid would see the results of their work like the applications he/she uses daily. An older Basic language would be good too, but it’s good to use it only as an introduction. Otherwise it would be boring soon!
I would avoid php or Android apps as an introduction. They would be confusing on what programming really is. And of course, logo is for smaller children![/QUOTE]

Why is PHP confusing? It’s also based on somekind of C language right? You teach, so you’re probably right, but I’m curious!!