Beginner questions about archival storage

vbimport

I have spent the last few days reading through a lot of messages on this forum, as well as researching on other sites - but still have a couple of questions.

Due in large part to the death of several family members over the past 18 months, I have become custodian of a large number (as in almost a closet full) of family photos ranging from the 1880s to present day - a mixture of slides, negatives, and photos.

I have begun the scanning process which I expect to take about 5 years.

Now I am trying to determine the best way to make copies for sharing with family memers, as well as for “archival” purposes.

For Christmas my generous husband gave me an Epson R800 printer allowing me to make better prints, as well as print labels on printable Cd’s & DVD’s.

So now to my questions:

1. Would you recommend burning to CD-R, DVD-R, or DVD+R?

2. In the line of printable media what recommndations would you make as to brand?

My desire is for the burned discs to last a reasonablly long periond of time (understanding that someone will have to have a computer or other device capable of reading the media).

Thanks for your help.

To answer your question No. 1, just a hint:

"…Taiyo Yuden invented the CD Recordable media technology and they manufacture many well-known name brands.

Taiyo Yuden media provides high performance compatibility and long term data integrity. Their 52x certified media with “Super Cyanine” blue recording dye provides zero wave distortion, as well as data integrity that is guaranteed to last for 100 years!

Features of Taiyo Yuden CD-R’s include improved recordability, better performance with older CD players, and improved surface strength by Data Guard T protective coating. They have also enhanced the recording and playback margin, as well as improving wobble and ATIP signal quality for all recorders. These CD-R’s only allow a minimum jitter for all types of compact disc players and are compatible with writing speeds: 1x, 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x 16x, 24x, 32x, 48x or 52x…"