Beginner needs help making DVDs that reliably work in any DVD player

vbimport

My wife starts teaching an art class in two weeks and needs DVDs to show the students. They must play reliably in whatever DVD player the school makes available.

Two minutes on this forum showed me I was way out of my depth. Could anyone give me simple advice on how a non-savvy person might buy an inexpensive external burner and burn DVDs that work on any DVD player.

I realize it’s an endlessly complex subject but I really need a simple but reliable plug-and-play system I can use to make the DVDs while I learn.

Any suggestions as to an inexpensive burner, best type of media and software we should use would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

splash7

[QUOTE=splash7;2540641]My wife starts teaching an art class in two weeks and needs DVDs to show the students. They [I]must play reliably in whatever DVD player[/I] the school makes available.

Two minutes on this forum showed me I was way out of my depth. Could anyone give me simple advice on how a non-savvy person might buy an inexpensive external burner and burn DVDs that [I]work on any DVD player.[/I]

I realize it’s an endlessly complex subject but I really need a simple but reliable plug-and-play system I can use to[B] make the DVDs[/B] while I learn.

Any suggestions as to an inexpensive burner, best type of media and software we should use would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

splash7[/QUOTE]

When you mention making DVDs you need to describe what source material and format you have in mind, especially if it involves transferring some existing content from another format to a DVD. Describe in detail what you hope to accomplish.

Are you expecting to copy commercially produced, copyrighted DVDs? I believe that topic is not allowed in this forum.

We [B]do[/B] allow discussions of copying commercially made dvds if the person owns the original disks and is making the new copies for his own use.

Otherwise, VoxHumana is correct. We need to know what types of videos you are starting with to best answer your questions.

For media, we recommend Verbatim brand normally, but they have been changing suppliers. If you can find Verbatim with the AZO designation on the wrapper, those would be a good choice, either -R or +R. The newer “Life Series” Verbatims are not trusted as of this time. Other choices would include Taiyo Yuden (found online), JVC Premium and Sony.

If you are going to use an external burner, I would suggest not getting one of the “slim” drives. A full size burner would be like this one at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106338

[QUOTE=VoxHumana;2540655]When you mention making DVDs you need to describe what source material and format you have in mind, especially if it involves transferring some existing content from another format to a DVD. Describe in detail what you hope to accomplish.

Are you expecting to copy commercially produced, copyrighted DVDs? I believe that topic is not allowed in this forum.[/QUOTE]

Hi VoxHumana - thanks for your reply.

We have no interest in copying commercial DVDs.
These will be slide shows made in Proshow. All photos are of our own artwork and no copyright issues are involved.

Proshow can create output for most formats and devices including DVD and Blu-ray but I’ve never output for DVDs.

Our main concern is producing single DVDs that play in any DVD player. What kind of burner will work best and what’s the most reliable media to use.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2540665]We [B]do[/B] allow discussions of copying commercially made dvds if the person owns the original disks and is making the new copies for his own use.

Otherwise, VoxHumana is correct. We need to know what types of videos you are starting with to best answer your questions.

For media, we recommend Verbatim brand normally, but they have been changing suppliers. If you can find Verbatim with the AZO designation on the wrapper, those would be a good choice, either -R or +R. The newer “Life Series” Verbatims are not trusted as of this time. Other choices would include Taiyo Yuden (found online), JVC Premium and Sony.

If you are going to use an external burner, I would suggest not getting one of the “slim” drives. A full size burner would be like this one at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106338[/QUOTE]

Hi Kerry 56,

Thanks for your reply and the helpful suggestions. I’m going to check all of those out. If you don’t mind I’ll come back with other questions as they come up.

I’m off to check the burner at NewEgg. Thanks.