% before you use a DL disc?

vbimport

Hi guys, just want to get input on what people deem as a good % without using a Dual layer? im currently using dual layers at around the 80% mark for my 46’ TV anything below 80% i can see alot of compression etc on the screen

What do you guys use % quality settings disc wise?

[quote=BOOBOO;2153520]Hi guys, just want to get input on what people deem as a good % without using a Dual layer? im currently using dual layers at around the 80% mark for my 46’ TV anything below 80% i can see alot of compression etc on the screen

What do you guys use % quality settings disc wise?[/quote]
When ever I use DVD9 discs I have never had to compress it has always been at 100%

Thats what i mean, at what % of compression do you stop using a single layer and use a dual layer with the “main movie” option

I let it go to 80% then use a DVD9

long drawn out discussion, conclusion - percentage of compression is not the deciding factor of video quality. its the original bitrate then compression.

options, using only main movie to minimize compression

[ol]
[li]use dvdfab for all transcoding
[/li]
[li]select a % to do a manual split using customize mode, not the split modes
[/li]
[li]use dvdfab in dvd9 mode and rip to hard drive. the use dvdrebuilder. dvdrebuilder will re-encode the video producing higher quality compressions.
[/li]
[li]use Verbatim DL media for no compression backups.
[/li][/ol]

i have a 42" plasma, if the movie is one i really like, i will split two dvd5 going below 90%. if its a movie which im probably not going to watch more than once, then i will typically compress to one dvd5.

edit// i only do main movie unless its kids movies which may require using customize mode to select multiple titles. :slight_smile:

I think i understand your instructions Troy, i downloaded DVDrebuilder and ill try it out. Is it really going to give better quality encodes?

[quote=BOOBOO;2153530]Thats what i mean, at what % of compression do you stop using a single layer and use a dual layer with the “main movie” option

I let it go to 80% then use a DVD9[/quote]
if I do main movie and the compression is lower then 70 % then I will use DVD9, If the movie is worth saving on a DVD9 if not then a DVD5 is used :bigsmile:

Pretty much my philosophy also, im only using Verbatim DL media by the way and im using Ritek g05 for my single layers

:eek: Ritek :Z

I know lol but out of 50 or so burns i havent had a drama to be honest.

Weren’t the Ritek G05 disks notorious for going bad after a short time? BooBoo you might want to seriously consider changing your single layer media choice. Verbatim would be much safer.

To answer your earlier question, yes, DVDRebuilder when used in conjunction with the HC mpeg2 encoder will produce better quality on any dvd that needs a fair amount of compression. HCenc is free and included with DVDRebuilder.

The tradeoff with DVDRebuilder is that it takes more time to work than a transcoder program. And the free version of DVDRebuilder is limited in its options compared to the Pro version.

So i should use dvd rebuilder when compressing something say below 80%?

[QUOTE=troy512;2153532]long drawn out discussion, conclusion - percentage of compression is not the deciding factor of video quality. its the original bitrate then compression.

options, using only main movie to minimize compression

[ol]
[li]use dvdfab for all transcoding
[/li]
[li]select a % to do a manual split using customize mode, not the split modes
[/li]
[li]use dvdfab in dvd9 mode and rip to hard drive. the use dvdrebuilder. dvdrebuilder will re-encode the video producing higher quality compressions.
[/li]
[li]use Verbatim DL media for no compression backups.
[/li][/ol]

i have a 42" plasma, if the movie is one i really like, i will split two dvd5 going below 90%. if its a movie which im probably not going to watch more than once, then i will typically compress to one dvd5.

edit// i only do main movie unless its kids movies which may require using customize mode to select multiple titles. :)[/QUOTE]

one more option - rip main movie to hard drive, then use dvd shrink to top & tail it. you can often save 5% or more by removing endless closing credits, and there’s often studio logo bit at the start you can chop off.
then burn the result with imgburn

[quote=cybmole;2153583]one more option - rip main movie to hard drive, then use dvd shrink to top & tail it. you can often save 5% or more by removing endless closing credits, and there’s often studio logo bit at the start you can chop off.
then burn the result with imgburn[/quote]
Tis true…is something I do most of the time when the movie is good and I want less compression as possible :wink:

Great advice from everyone…and once again, nothing said here makes anyone wrong, it’s just a matter of personal preferences and needs.

Myself, I generally compress to about 85-80% depending…and I only use Fab for all my processing.
It’s one-click… [B]“Set It and Forget It”[/B]. All my bkups look great and it just doesn’t get any easier.
Often, I’ll bkup to DL’s even if there’s only minimal compression, such as 90-95%…a great deal depends on the original bitrate as Troy mentioned previously.

I buy Verb +R DL (MIS) for about $1.10/disc (last time I bought 200 of 'em), so for me, it’s just not worth my time to tinker with other software. The bkups compressed with Fab look great and the DL’s are flawless.

I usually dont use DL dvds…unless its a 3 hour movie or something…like troy, a lot of times i just do main movie unless with menu, menu and extra’s its still not much compression…then i run it through dvd rebuilder. For very small compression i just use dvdfab.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2153583]one more option - rip main movie to hard drive, then use dvd shrink to top & tail it. you can often save 5% or more by removing endless closing credits, and there’s often studio logo bit at the start you can chop off.
then burn the result with imgburn[/QUOTE]

this is a good idea…will try this :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=maineman;2153714]Great advice from everyone…and once again, nothing said here makes anyone wrong, it’s just a matter of personal preferences and needs.
[/QUOTE]
yeah…i have friends who just do a full backup no matter how much compression is required…it all comes down to what works for you :slight_smile:

When i backup my movies from Ritek to Verbatim should i just nero dvd copy? or re run them through DVD FAB? and also, i installed DVD rebuilder and it gives me an avi synth error when HC loads up to encode.

sorry about the error you will have to start a new post here for help with dvd rebuilder.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f62/

Just started the tedious process of backing up all those G05s to Verbatim MCC03RG20 media, gonna take ages