Been out of the game...whats a good +R these days?

vbimport

so I haven’t really kept up with blank media for a while, the last 100pk I bought has lasted me about 2 years, but now I’m almost out so it would be awesome if someone could bring me up to speed :slight_smile: I still have a stash of the “good stuff” for important things but need to replenish my beater disks. Gotta be +R because one of my older dvd players won’t do -R, is sony still decent? thats what this last 100pk was and seemed to work well for me. skimming through the forums it seems that verbatim is kinda hit and miss now :frowning:

[QUOTE=jwill427;2586258]skimming through the forums it seems that verbatim is kinda hit and miss now :([/QUOTE]

It is more or less that way for all of the blank media now days even TY media has
gone downhill since they fell in with JVC along with FTI produced media which was
at first fantastic when it was first released now it is just so-so it seems.

Here is MooMooMooMoo’s thread about the media nowadays
I Am Frustrated With Low Quality Blanks

There’s nothing really wrong with those scans from Moo Moo’s burns. :rolleyes: Good grief. Over reliance on quality scans which are not particularly reliable to begin with… Do they play without issues, do they show a smooth TRT? If so they are absolutely fine for day to day use.

I recently purchased some Verbatim AZO +R disks from Fry’s and they are perfectly good to use as “beater” disks. Don’t believe all “the sky is falling” posts around here.

If you are going to the trouble of ordering online and don’t mind the price, the TY 8x +R’s should be as good as it gets anymore, at least for US customers. Supermediastore usually beats Rima on price plus shipping.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2586354]There’s nothing really wrong with those scans from Moo Moo’s burns. :rolleyes: Good grief. Over reliance on quality scans which are not particularly reliable to begin with… Do they play without issues, do they show a smooth TRT? If so they are absolutely fine for day to day use.
[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with this, I’m glad I’m not the only one :stuck_out_tongue: When I was looking at that thread I was wondering what all the hubbub was about, I mean they’re not perfect scans but they’re not bad either

I guess I’ll see whats on sale and go from there

I agree that the scans are not all that bad but still it is not what most are accustomed
to seeing from first rate media like the scans from back in the old days. :bigsmile:

Yes I agree the scans do not tell the whole story wither the disc is good or not but is a
good indicator to give you an ideal how the discs are going to be longevity wise wither it
might or might not be readable later on down the line but still that is not a guarantee a
disc will be readable later on even if it scans perfectly now.

(Anyone remember the Ritek G05 fiasco a few years ago?) they would scan perfectly and a
week or two or a month or two later some of them couldn’t be read at all.

It seems to me that the consumers wanted / demanded cheaper prices on blank media and
the Manufactures decided alright then we’ll give them cheaper prices but we won’t worry the
least bit about quality control any longer. :doh:

[QUOTE=getit29;2586377]I agree that the scans are not all that bad but still it is not what most are accustomed
to seeing from first rate media like the scans from back in the old days. :bigsmile:

Yes I agree the scans do not tell the whole story wither the disc is good or not but is a
good indicator to give you an ideal how the discs are going to be longevity wise wither it
might or might not be readable later on down the line but still that is not a guarantee a
disc will be readable later on even if it scans perfectly now.

(Anyone remember the Ritek G05 fiasco a few years ago?) they would scan perfectly and a
week or two or a month or two later some of them couldn’t be read at all.

It seems to me that the consumers wanted / demanded cheaper prices on blank media and
the Manufactures decided alright then we’ll give them cheaper prices but we won’t worry the
least bit about quality control any longer. :doh:[/QUOTE]

I also noticed & mentioned in a 3rd thread a few weeks back that a few of the the current FTI/Falcons are visibly showing faded dye in places & completely failing on 1st burn. In my case, it’s been a small percentage, but it’s still frightening. At least one other person has mentioned significant failure rates with recent FTI’s on another thread here.

I just ordered some 8x TY’s to see if they are any better then current 16x, but what getit29 stated is also my point, “it is not what most are accustomed to seeing from first rate media like the scans from back in the old days”.

One of the reasons I am so gun shy with discs:

Back in the really old days before I knew better I burned a couple hundred Ricoh/Maxells (RICOHJPN-R01-002) purchased at local chain stores, & ALL of them had faded dye & would only play about 1/2 way through in less than 6 months.

I’m currently going through a project to re-burn all of my mass market cdr’s (Maxell, TDK, Sony, various pc store’s house brands), again purchased several years ago before I knew better. While I’ve only found 1 that was completely unreadable on all 16 players & drives I own, I’ve found quite a few where at least a few tracks were unrippable.

One commercially pressed cdr would only play back on an old Cyberhome stand alone dvd player. While the Cyberhome’s picture quality is dreadful, that $40 Cyberhome has the best reading drive I’ve ever run across! Many years ago I emailed Cyberhome asking just what they were using for the transport & if the same drive was available for pc’s. Unfortunately their ended up being an apparent language barrier, they didn’t understand my question.

[QUOTE=jwill427;2586372]I tend to agree with this, I’m glad I’m not the only one :stuck_out_tongue: [/QUOTE]

Nope, you’re not. I agree too. Scans never tell the whole story as far as I’m concerned. :slight_smile:

As to the original question, I still swear by my beloved MCC004 - not bothered where they’re made or who made them. I even have archives on the MIC (CMC) ones. :smiley:

TY 8x discs ain’t half bad either (hehe) :stuck_out_tongue: