Been out of it DVD wise, and need to restart on software. Advise welcomed!

I’ve had several programs in the past that worked fine for me in ripping and burning… but having been away from the rip/burn arena for a while and now wanting to get back in I find myself having trouble with the burns.

I am currently using DVDCloner8 to rip, which appears to rip everything I throw in front of it… but when I go to burn regardless of what speed I burn it, glitches, and usually at the same spot each time. Does that sound like a burn error or and error in ripping?

Also, I see lots of newer programs discussed here… what is the ‘best’ method at this time to rip and burn. Is this a two program process or is there a one program does all that really work?

Thanks

If you want to use one program, you should look at DVDFab. It can rip, compress and burn to a disk. It can make use of a very fine burning program called ImgBurn to do the actual burn to the disk.

It isn’t a free program, but there is a trial available. Also, there is a free section within it called DVDFab HD Decrypter which will continue to function as a decryption/ripping program even after the trial ends.

I prefer other tools personally. I use AnyDVD HD to do the decryption, then compress with DVDRebuilder Pro. Since Rebuilder uses an encoder, rather than a transcoder, it will produce higher quality compressed video, especially with large dvds that require a lot of compression to fit onto a single layer disk. The HC encoder that is included is very highly regarded as an mpeg2 encoder. There is a free version of DVDRebuilder, but it has fewer options on what can be done with the dvd.

Don’t know what is going on with your current program. Does it do this with every movie, or are you talking about one rip in particular?

I’m not familiar with DVDCloner, most people here use DVDFab and/or AnyDVD, but to your question: Does the ripped video play from your hard drive without problem? What burner and brand of blank media are you using? Are you using the burn program that is part of DVDCloner or something else? How old is your burner?

Hardware Wise: Using a Toshiba Laptop L675

Does the video play from the HD? Yes, but there is a section that glitches but on the Computer it continues to play, but on a DVD Player it crashes and burns (freezes).

Using Verbatim 16x…

But rather than mess with the problem… I think i’ll upgrade software first and then see if the problem remains or stays the same. Looks like DVDFab or AnyDVD is the current route to go. Probably the older DVDCloner cant’t handle the new DVD encryption issues.

I get the same burn error in the same place… so I am guessing that it is a rip error due to software more than a burn error. So I think its time to upgrade software. Nice to just bounce an idea off of others.

[QUOTE=genesis19594;2581995]Looks like DVDFab or AnyDVD is the current route to go. Probably the older DVDCloner cant’t handle the new DVD encryption issues.

I get the same burn error in the same place… so I am guessing that it is a rip error due to software more than a burn error. So I think its time to upgrade software. Nice to just bounce an idea off of others.[/QUOTE]

Yeah try DVDFab on that disc and see what happens.

I use DVDFab to rip then DVD Rebuilder to compress and as Kerry says DVD Rebuilder does a full re-encode which gives better quality with difficult sources.

Oh, welcome to the forums and I hope you find your time here useful. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I use AnyDvd to rip to the hard drive. I do the movie only with just the English audio and English closed captions. Since there is not a whole lot of compression needed I use the old reliable Dvd Shrink (free), and burn with cloneDvd (from Slysoft) only because I happen to have it, otherwise I would burn with Imgburn (free).

I usually use AnyDVD for doing the decryption. I use CloneDVD2 to do the rip with AnyDVD on. In CloneDVD2 I select Copy DVD Titles which is movie only. I uncheck Preserve Menus. I do the rip DVD +/-R DL the same as DVD9 . This prevents CloneDVD2 from transcoding .
The reason I don’t just use AnyDVD to do the rip is I can have CloneDVD2 only use the Audio track or tracks I want & get rid of all the Extras.
I was surprised at how many DVDs ripped this way are now small enough to fit on a SL DVD disc(under 4.7GB).
If compression is required then I use DVDRebuilder (free version) as Kerry56 suggested above. To get it to it’s full potential with HCenc you need to tweak it some but it will do a good job even without tweaking.
I usually burn with CloneDVD2 & sometimes with ImgBurn.
I have also done rips with the freeware version of DVDFab & had no problems.
Right now & for the next year I got a free version of DVDFab DVD Copy from giveawayoftheday. I checked & this is a legitimate promotion from DVDFab but as with all giveawayoftheday offers it had to be installed on the same day it was offered.

That raises a good point actually.

If you want to go entirely down the freeware route then I’d recommend DVDFab to rip, either DVDShrink or the free edition of DVD Rebuilder to compress (as mentioned earlier DVD Rebuilder will give better quality) and ImgBurn to burn your discs.

If you’re using the free version of DVD Rebuilder then you’ll probably also want either VobBlanker or PgcEdit to remove unwanted content prior to compression.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I also use dvd hd fab with dvd shrink and dvd dcrypter to burn the image.always make sure to disable any programs that run in the background like your antivirus this should eliminate the glitches (even the wireless mode on you PC)

[QUOTE=Alien67;2583174]I also use dvd hd fab with dvd shrink and dvd dcrypter to burn the image.[/QUOTE]

I’d recommend swapping to ImgBurn instead of DVD Decrypter.

DVD Decrypter hasn’t been updated in years now and there has been a massive amount of changes and fixes since DVD Decrypter’s burn engine became ImgBurn.

[B]Wombler[/B]