Becoming OCD- please help interpret burn quality

vbimport

ok, I have Pioneer DVR-D110, The burn below is one I just did on a 16x DVD+R Verbatum, I did a 8x burn in Nero of “some data” about 3+ gig’s worth. Since I’ve been scanning all my +DL discs lately trying to figure out which discs stink and which will be find I decided to scan my DVD+R SL on a fresh and relatively slow burn.

here they are:

and same disc:

am I good or no? how should I interpret these scans?

EDIT: also, how much does using my comp at the same time mess with results?

The Pio 110 drives are no good scanners…

Other running applications will have an effect on the scanning results too.

what should I do to determine how good or bad the discs are (aside from buy a different burner)? Or just assume anything I do verbatum will be good? Seriously this forum has me paranoid about losing data now…

Given that is a 16x disc why are you burning at 8x? 12x is recommended for that disc. Can you scan it in another drive?

My other drive is a very old CREATIVE DVD-ROM DVD1610E that I don’t even think I can get to read DL discs more or less scan them. I guess I could try.

We’re talking about the sl discs here not the dual as it’s an sl scan you posted. Though if my memory serves me correctly we are not advised to use DVD-ROM s to do scans. It’s in the guide threads somewhere.

Do you have access to any friends PCs with different model burner?

I would suggest anything from 4x-12x as the burn speed on 16x discs. The 8x speed has been shown as safest on many discs, less potential for errors. Burn speed was not an error for years now for DVD, but the advent of 16x has changed that. Just how fast can you spin a disc and expect it to remain perfectly flat while it etches data into microscopic grooves?

Do not get obsessive over PI/PIE testing. It has its limitations, and is far less valuable than your typical cdfreaks member is willing to admit. PI/PIE should only be one test out of a battery of tests, to determine disc quality. The problem with PI/PIE testing is it largely depends on the drive itself, and it’s not a solid scientific method, far too many variables, not enough constants. These tests are infamous for both their false positives and their false negatives.

Good media is, quite simply, media that burns consistently on most burners, and plays in most players, while producting low rate of coasters.

The only way to fully test a disc is by :

• running file comparison/verification (one that works, not that junk in Nero),
  • about 2-3 disc scans (both PI/PIE type -and- the surface scans … but be careful with the testing drives, drives can play a big part in this), maybe even in several different drives
  • trying to extract an ISO with no read-back errors (or copy disc-to-disc, though this can be more faulty),
  • and then by playing out the entire video front to back (or restoring all data files, if data).

If it can pass all of those, then the disc is fine.

Do not get OCD over one of the tests in one drive. Try another drive for that test, do other tests on your drive. If you cannot try the test in another drive, skip it. The other tests should give you good piece of mind, assuming they all pass okay.

However, for the most part, yes, Verbatim (MCC coded media) is going to be just fine. It has an extremely low coaster rate, only 0-5% of the time on average (meaning a 95-100% success rate overall!). In other words, at most in a 100 pack of discs, you could see 0-5 bad discs, on average.

/

lordsmurf the old “burn slower for better quality” is a myth where good quality media is concerned and Verb is considered quality. It has been said often in this section where people ask that question.

chef has already said the drive used is not good at scanning.

<sigh>

so I should find a 3rd part verification software- don’t trust nero’s little “data verification” right after burn or IMGBURNS verification either?

Then run a scandisk using speedcd/dvd (which nearly all my verbatum and “verified” memorex pass beautiful) and then a quality scan (which most my discs regardless of brand look ugly)…

I guess if they verify after burn, verify with 3rd party and survive benchmark/surface scans I’m just going to put them on the shelf and not worry…

I agree that 16x isn’t a fantastic write speed and results are much more consistant on 8 or 12 - that’s with the MCC -R and TYG/T0 8-16x discs i tried on various burners. With the price of writers there’s no reason not to have a testing drive like Benq or LireOn. I do not agree on the testing issues in lordsmurf’s post at all but i can agree testing might go with drive/fw/disc/writer etc. Anyho if you don’t want an extra drive go with TY 8x discs for lowest error rate and compatibility. I haven’t tried MCC04 yet but it seems they are pretty overall reliable as well - from what i’ve read.

You could as some here like :wink: do a Transfer Rate Test in cdspeed with your drive and if it looks good some will say you have a nice disc. Make your own experiences and in time you have only good burns if that’s what you want :slight_smile:

these seem new, are they good?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7642562&type=product&id=1134697746286

Yes, and in times gone by, I said that too, for DVD. But that was largely pre-16x days. When you had 4x-8x media, burning 1x or 2x was pointless.

It’s only a myth in certain situations, not ALL situations.

And then, don’t go overboard. You do not want to burn 16x media at 1x, that’s silly too. In fact, 16x burned too slow can sometimes be a problem too. It’s really screwy.

Verbatim discs are definitely quality discs, but you’ll yield better results if you run 8x or 12x on them, don’t get all hog-wild and do 16x.

Also remember burn times!
1x = 55-60 min
2x = 29-30 min
4x = 15-16 min
8x = 8-9 min
12x = 6-7min
16x = 5-6min

How impatient must you be to NEED to save 1-2 minutes? It’s not like 16x is much faster than 8x or 12x anyway, it’s PCAV and ZCLV and not 16x from start to end. You don’t even hit 16x until the outer edge of the disc.

Must have some perspective on these things.

/