Be Warned! Firmware flashing in Prolific firewire might not work

vbimport

I just had the heart stopping experience of a firmware flash failing, of course it was on my precious 3500. It appears as though no damage was done; I will know after a burn, but I thought I would pass it on so you can avoid it. It appears as though Binflash is not happy with firewire flashing using a Prolific chipset. A lot of people use this chip because it allows 16X burning.

All looked well until it got to erasing, step 2, and then it just froze with the drive light flashing. I went through all those things you say to yourself after a move that could have been avoided if I just wanted to open a few cases and move a few drives around and rebooted.

All looks well but, needless to say, the next firmware flash will be on a good old IDE cable. I am not sure if it was firewire or Prolific or Binflash and I don’t plan to try again to find out.

…All looks well but, needless to say, the next firmware flash will be on a good old IDE cable. I am not sure if it was firewire or Prolific or Binflash and I don’t plan to try again to find out.

chas0039, IIRC you have a Plumax USB2/Firewire combo enclosure…

Why not just flash through USB2. No need with all the hassle taking the drive out (and and then back into) enclosure. :bigsmile:

BTW, have you told Liggy about your problem.

I can’t do anything about it anyway. Either the enclosure supports the necessary commands for flashing or it does not support them. Unfortunately there’s no other way for me to check this than trying to flash.

Though I don’t have my 3500A externally, but I’m able to flash through 1394 (or USB) to the 1633S/53S through their firmware flashing executable, with the (in)famous Prolific PL3507.

I guess it also depends on the Prolific internal firmware, but I can’t say for sure.

I might try that if I had absolute certainty that it would work. My Prolific bridge board does have USB but I have transplanted it into a MApower enclosure so I can have 5 drives all together with the Prolific supporting the NEC. I could easily add the USB cable and I know that the Prolific firmware update I put through needed USB, but in that case it wouldn’t even start on firewire.

If anyone has flashed the NEC through the Plumax enclosure with the Prolific 3507 chip and the latest firmware from Prolific I would like to hear about it. My 3500 has survived intact and the burns are superb so I dodged the bullet this time. I don’t want to pull that trigger again.

chas:
I had a similar experience. Before I knew that we were supposed to flash in USB, I flashed with FireWire and I got the “Flash Failed” message. But when I rebooted my comp, Nero Info shows the NEW firmware, and it worked just fine. I’ve done it a couple of times after that too, with my BenQ as well. Every time I would get the “Flash Failed” message. But after I reboot, the new FW always shows up. I’ve done many burns after that and Disc Quality checks came out fine. However, just to be safe, I only flash with USB now.