Be carefull using rewritables for data backup!

I use 12x cdrws to do a temporary back up and have around 20, which I try to rotate.

Whilst doing some testing using CDSpeed on cdr media I ran one of the cdrws burnt in Nero through and to my horror it showed 3.05 Million errors! I did a full erase and reburned it in CloneCD and it showed 5.4 Million errors. I don’t keep a record of the number of times each cdrw is used but it would have to be less than 15 burns in total.

I subsequently did burns on 2 mint cdrws and they showed zero errors.

I have not had a chance to try the other previously used cdrws as I don’t retain data on them, always erasing them immediately after transferring the contents.

Although my Lite-on and Pioneer drives had no problem reading the disc, my advice is to check your cdrws for errors before relying on them for medium or long term storage.

Better advice is to never use RW discs for storage at all.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Better advice is to never use RW discs for storage at all.

That’s what I have found as well. I’ve never had good success with CD-RW. Or success at all… I first used imation CD-RW. They would usually read but they were so crappy that they began to get cracks in them. Then nashua. Ended up with about 400MB of unreplaceable data down the crapper. Then a LiteON CD-RW disc that the silver began to flake off of. Never had those kind of failure with CD-R. Plus you have to consider that CD-RW aren’t nealy as reflective, so they won’t read in many drives.

What error classes are they consitute, C what? It is unavoidable for CDR/W to have certain type of error, they are designed into the system. Try using more compatible medias, download the smartbrun checking program from LIteon.

@Jovo:
Did you use Intenso or Memorex crap media, made by InfoDisc?

Originally posted by alexnoe
@Jovo:
Did you use Intenso or Memorex crap media, made by InfoDisc?

No it was identified in the Smatburn utility as:

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = HSCD-RW, Phase Change
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 26s 65f
Norminal Capacity = 658.89MB (75m 00s 00f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = CMC
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 12X

Most of my cdrws are Imation but I still have not checked them for similar errors.

CMC :Z Use better media!

I’m seeing that using CDRW is not good for long term backup, not that I do. I have scanned 2 CDRWs with CDSpeed that I have burned 3 times each and I get “Damaged Sectors”. All my CDRs (oldschool TDK & TY) have always been good.

Although it sounds weird, the RW disc that came with Liteon drives are once produced by the source CMC :wink:

You are right tylau the cdrw did come with the first Lite-on I bought. Not suprisingly my current 6S writer also came with CMC. It’s going straight into the bin!

Just a note, if you are using dedicated backup programs, make sure it can write to CD-Rs. Some use packet writing technology and expect you to use CD-RWs. As an example only DirectCD lets you write CD-Rs using packet writing technology.

At the risk of sounding lame (this is really old news), the most reliable CD-RWs are the Verbatims. Actually I should have said, “the least unrelaible” :smiley:

Darn Guy’s,
I was just going to purchase the new Lite-On 52X24X52 cd-rw. Well I’m glad I ran across this forum. I was actually searching for a reveiw but now since you say backing-up important data is not safe on CD-RW media (millions of error’s) I might as well stay with my external hard drive. I do have a Plextor 12X10X32A I was going to put on my son’s computer.

Thanks

Yes, I have had the LiteON 40125S for over 6 months now and it is great using standard burn software.

However, I still prefer the Plexy 1210A (same as your old burner) for DirectCD (packet-written) stuff because it can packet write to CD-R flawlessly, which my LiteON 40125S can’t really (keeps hunting and transferring stuff in 2K chunks, resulting in a less than 4X speed using DirectCD, while the Plexy writes the same thing seamlessly, at a resulting average speed of about 10X)

This is, of course, only applicable to saving to CD-R using packet writing (saving to CD-R).

At the risk of sounding archaic, the good ole Plexy still has a place and I was lucky enough to get my old burner back from my buddy who switched to a faster burner as he only does straight burns and never uses packet writing at all like I tend to do using my backup software, for me a primary task I ask of a burner.

Now I can’t say anything about the new LiteON 52X24X52, it may work better in that respect than the ‘good ole’ :wink: 40125S…

Originally posted by mrweed
Darn Guy’s,
now since you say backing-up important data is not safe on CD-RW media (millions of error’s) I might as well stay with my external hard drive.

I don’t believe that the errors I encountered with my 52246S using CDRWs were caused by the writer. It is more likely a media problem as when I use new media it shows no errors. Overall it is the best writer I have used (previous ones included Acer, Iomega, LG and Sony, etc.). It appears that some media can only take 10 or 15 rewrites.