BDR-208 not loading a Blu comercial movie

vbimport

Well, here I am again after 5 years and my last big bout with the LG H55. Seems every time I get a new optical its back to the Forum here.

I may be a little naive about Blu-ray and commercial Movies and the computer writer drives but I’m learning fast.

Like all this baloney about MS deciding not to support Opticals anymore and the advent of an ever increasing market in streaming video services.
There seems to be a trend to stop the disc stuff and go to streaming services as the bandwidth is continuously increasing for all of us.

Its all tied into the copy-ability of disc based movies. Ever increasing encryption methods and now a possible departure from computer based movie watchers as being anything of concern to the market. In other words … they’re saying, “get a streaming service and forget your Drives !”

This thing with Microsoft spurning opticals is surely a BIG NAIL in the coffin but its likely to go much further in other areas of this movie market too’

I bought this Pioneer BDR-208DBK drive and tested it with both my own DVD movies and some commercial movies I rented, and it worked very well. So I figured its time to try a Blu-ray and I rented one (Star Trek) and inserted it into the drive, the light comes on - stays on for a bit - and then goes out … nothing. Windows does not see it at all. Going to explorer and accessing the drive (which BTW shows good in the Device manager) windows just ejects the tray and says “please insert a disc”, which if I do it just repeats the same thing above … nothing__.

Well I’m not real savvy on whats going on with the current encryption strategies but this disc is not seen at all by this new Pioneer drive !
So you’d think this is a drive problem right, it works fine, fast and quiet with all DVD or CD so the only problem has to be the Firmware. Or what about new strategies in commercial blu-ray to prevent the disc from being loadable in a Write capable drive on a computer (>Windows optical spurned OS< … right!) disabling any copy possibility. In other words they’re saying “Get a Blu-ray ‘Player only’ and insert the disc.”

There seems to be a big problem with license fees for Blu-ray players and other things, one of the reasons MS wants out. New laws in force to limit support from manufacturers and Software Companies from doing any over-riding of copy-protection (this of course, in the U.S.). I’m not sure, but I wonder if the Blu-ray licensing companies could restrict the type of ‘drives’ the disc could be played on … legally.

Anyway … I looked for a firmware solution from Pioneer but there is none. I’m currently trying to communicate with them but its going very slow. The MS drivers are correct and there is no other ones to use.

I’m curious if anyone has experienced this and if they play all Blu-ray commercial movies on this drive on this OS , with no problems.

System is: Win 8 pro --> (>Windows optical spurned OS<)
MB: MSI Z77 Mpower MS-7751
CPU: i5 Ivy

Ok, things are starting to get more interesting now.

I’ve tested out Verbatum 6x BD-R and wrote and read 25 gigs of DVD sd resolution movies and it works good.

But … Pioneer … says, its a bad laser, return it __

HHmmmm … interesting. Lets try another Blu HD Commercial movie…

Did the disc have a crack or any physical damage?

Regardless of that, I’ve found a commercial disc or two that wouldn’t work in one BD drive, but would in another.

Yes, I already figured that into the picture. The disc was nearly perfect as far as visibility can discern.

I’m going to get another, and the same one (Star Trek) if possible, on another disc.

Ii’ll be bauck …

DLW, a commercial disc will not play in that writer unless it is decrypted or you use a licensed blu-ray media player.
An exception is using vlc with patches but that only works on simple encrypted discs.
Anydvd will allow playback and dvdfab products can de-encrypt.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2695488]DLW, a commercial disc will not play in that writer unless it is decrypted or you use a licensed blu-ray media player.
An exception is using vlc with patches but that only works on simple encrypted discs.
Anydvd will allow playback and dvdfab products can de-encrypt.[/QUOTE]That’s all well and good, but Windows should recognize a disc put in the drive, show the label, etc, which per the first post didn’t happen.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2695496]That’s all well and good, but Windows should recognize a disc put in the drive, show the label, etc, which per the first post didn’t happen.[/QUOTE]

That may well be true but if my previous post isn’t followed in some form, he will never be able to play a commercial BD.

Have you tried to start a BluRay software (WinDVD or PowerDVD) prior introducing the disc.
Everything used to play the movie (optical drive, player, TV … ) must be HDCP compatible and capable for a original disk to play … from what I know.

It appears that the problem I had was with one disc, Star Trek, rented. It simply did nothing except spin for a bit and then off. Nothing in explorer, just indicating the ‘Drive is empty’.

So, I bought a few blank 25g Blu-rays and inserted one. It was detected correctly. Win8 asked me what I wanted to do with the disc so I indicated I wanted to write files to it. It then did a quick configuration and I wrote 25gigs worth of files to the disc with no problems.

After this [U]all[/U] Blu-ray movies I rented, detected within a number of seconds. I acquired the Star Trek disc from another source and it too detected and played flawlessly. I’ve been unable to acquire the original disc that would not load.

What’s the answer !? … I don’t know for sure. A bad Star Trek disc … maybe; although it did not look physically bad at all.
Loading in the blank disc caused Win8 to configure something that enabled the detection … maybe that too.

I use a good Blu-ray player of course. All BD movies have and continue to play fine, no problems.